Chapter 48

Miranda Bonham

I was more than surprised when I heard a commotion down the hall. I could've gotten up to check what was going on, but I felt too weak.

I'd exhausted myself with Nixon, and I had already been tired from not sleeping most of the night. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten anything all day.

"Miranda," Zander said, sighing loudly in relief.

"Zander?" I asked. I couldn't even get up from the ground. I tried, I really did. But my legs felt weak and my body felt numb.

"What did that bastard do to you?" Zander asked in a growl. 

The relief he seemed to have felt before was gone. He was looking at me worriedly, but I could tell he was pissed off.

"When did he send you here?" He asked me again when I didn't answer. 

Another guy, who seemed to be one of the royal guards, was walking behind Zander.

"Open the door," Zander ordered the guy standing behind him. 

Two more guys were walking behind them, and they were looking at me with pitying eyes. I didn't even want to imagine how I must've looked to them. It was embarrassing.

"Nixon knows," I mumbled out, before the tears started spilling down my eyes.

"You didn't tell Preston or Craven?" Zander asked, disapprovingly.

"I don't want them to kill Nixon," I admitted, feeling my face warm up. 

The other two guys and the guards stepped a few feet away when Zander dismissed them. I'd only been wearing Randall's large shirt and a pair of his shorts, but I still felt too exposed. 

I was betting that Zander could smell on me that Nixon and I had mated not too long ago. It made me feel ashamed of myself.

"You should've said something, Miranda. Look at how he has you. Did you think you could've kept this hidden from Preston? He already felt something was wrong. He'd been calling you at the palace all morning and everyone there told him that you and Nixon hadn't been there since last night. One of the servants told Preston that Nixon had been furious when you two left the palace."