Chapter 16

Miranda Bonham

Nixon stood up from his chair as soon as he noticed Zander.

My heart was beating faster, and I sensed a fight starting between the two. Both of them growled, just low enough for only us three to hear. 

The humans were too busy with their own thing to notice the two guys that were about to go at each other.

"Hello Miranda," Zander said, turning to look at me. He smiled at me, and I tried to smile back. I was sure my smile looked more like a grimace though.

"Who's your friend?" Zander asked, nodding toward Nixon.

"Odd, isn't it? Just last week you were attacking my kingdom, and already you have forgotten who your prince is," Nixon said- his face expressionless. 

His clenched jaw was what let me know that he was trying really hard to control himself.

"So what has the prince told you?" Zander asked, turning to look at me.

It was nerve wrecking to have them both in front of each other, neither of them willing to back down.

"I know everything," I said, without breaking my gaze from him.

He didn't look surprised, but I could tell he wasn't happy.

"I think you should come with me. I'll take you home," Zander said, holding out his hand for me.

The moment his hand attempted to touch mine, Nixon maneuvered me so that I was standing behind him. I tried to move, but he wasnít letting me.

"I'm taking her home, to her apartment. I'll also be staying there with her until my business here is taken care of," Nixon said, his voice sounding smooth.

Anyone walking by would think they were friends, having a regular conversation.

"Craven doesn't know about this, I'm assuming" Zander stated.

I tried once again to stand in front of Nixon, and this time, he let me. But his hand was holding onto mine tightly.