Common Battles

You hear heavy footsteps approaching, the sounds of trees breaking and making that eerie squeaky sound. Roars of something you've never heard before, so loud it sends chills up your spine.

Y/n: (You start panicking) H-hey guys what are we fighting?

Darkness: Wild beasts, they like to terrorize nearby towns. Sadly we live in one of those towns.

Y/n: W-what do I do then?! Do I just swing my axe or do I-?!

Kazuma: Be quiet already!

Y/n: Fine!

Kazuma: These beasts are not as big as they sound alright? They're just heavy. Just make sure you don't get close to them when they fall.

Y/n: A-alright then (You hold your axe out and feel this electric pulse running through you)

Darkness: (She leans over to you) Nervous much?

Y/n: W-way more than you think.

Darkness: Just think about it like when we fu- (You cover her mouth before she speaks)

Y/n: (You whisper to her) Shhh! Thats a sensitive topic you know!

Aqua: Whatever you two are talking about you better cut it! Here they come!

A hoard of monsters ran out of the forest like distressed todlers. Bright green beasts, 16 feet tall tower above you, intimidating you with every second that passes.

Kazuma runs to one and uses his bow to take it out before it can swing it's bat.

Megumin uses a variety of explosion magic to render the beast's line of sight, as well as their hearing. "Explosion!" She yells out and another monster blows up in a pool of blood and organs.

Aqua uses water magic to send pressurized pulses at some, blowing off some of their limbs.

How could kazuma say they needed you? They look fine without you.

You look over at darkness to see her standing still, staring at them in battle.

Y/n: H-how come you're not out there battling?

Darkness: I'm a defense specialist, remember? I only go when they need someone to take a hit from them. (She mumbles) Plus, my aim sucks...

Y/n: [What did she say?] I-I'm sorry what did you say? I couldn't hear you.

Darkness: (She feels embarrassed) I-I said my aim sucks alright! I couldn't hit a thing if my life depended on it...

Y/n: Isn't there a way to increase aim? Like a potion or something?

Darkness: (She looks away) There's a rare gemstone that raises your aim drastically. It's super expensive at the magic items shop, but you could also try mining for it. Its extremely rare so the chances of running into it are thinner than a strand of hair.

Y/n: How about we try mining after this? We would have a few hours left, ya' know?

Darkness: Y-yes that sounds wonderful [Some time with him alone in the mines wouldn't be so bad]

Y/n: So it's a date? (You wink at her)

Darkness: I-I guess you could say that (She smiles)

Kazuma: What are you two standing there for! Get killing!

Y/n: R-right! Sorry!

You run into the hoard and swing Storm-breaker around, slicing off the legs of some unsuspecting monsters. You throw the axe at a nearby beasts head and chop it in half, watching it fall to its knees and then to the ground. The image of blood gushing from it's sliced head and the different organs popping out will stay in your mind for as long as you live.

Darkness: Y/n behind you!

You turn to see one of the monsters ready to strike you when suddenly darkness gets in the way.

Darkness: Heavy defense!

A magical barrier forms around you and Darkness, completely reflecting the beast's mace.

Y/n: Thanks!, t-that was a close one (Storm-breaker comes back to you and crushes the monsters head to a pulp)

Darkness: Don't let your guard down, you don't know when they'll strike (She helps you up)

Y/n: Y-yeah (You both run different paths)

As you're Killing beasts you notice darkness trying to hit one. Every strike she makes either misses or is deflected by the monster.

You run behind her and take it by surprise as you slice off it's arm and kill it by smashing its head.

Darkness: T-thanks- (She falls to her knees)

Y/n: H-hey whats wrong?! (You get down on yours and hold her)

Darkness: Defenses are cool and all but (She starts breathing heavier) it takes a lot of energy to keep it up.

You pick her up and run away to a nearby tree and put her down

Y/n: I'll be back, there aren't much left (You run back to the field)

Megumin: Explosion!

A huge explosion goes off destroying the majority of the monsters. The field is covered in ashes and smoke as it creates cover for both us and the monsters.

Kazuma: Megumin no! You we're supposed to do that when there were only a few left!

Megumin: S-sorry I thought it would knock out all of hem!

Y/n: This is no time to fight! There are monsters in this smoke ready to attack!

???: You! (A deep, rough voice spoke)

You turn and all you see is a huge bat swing at you, knocking you a few 50 meters away from where you were.

Kazuma: Y/n! (He shoots an arrow through the beast's head)

As Megumin and Aqua keep fighting kazuma runs to you and gives you a bottle. "Here, drink this" he says while you take sip of the bitter liquid.

Y/n: U-ugh, that hit hard... (You wipe your mouth)

Kazuma: Yeah, those things are slow, but their hits are not a joke.

You both get up and walk to the field. Kazuma runs to join Megumin and Aqua to keep fighting, as you try to run you see darkness struggling to get up.

Y/n: Darkness! (You run to her and help her up)

Darkness: (She holds onto you) A-are you alright?!

Y/n: Don't worry about me! You can't get up!

Kazuma: (He's running to us) Get away!

Y/n: What's happening!

Kazuma: Megumin's gonna-

Megumin: Explosion!

You get down and cover darkness as a huge, red mushroom cloud covers the entire Battle field, including everyone in the team.

You get up and see everything covered in ashes and fire. Everyone is laying down with defenses on.

Y/n: D-darkness are you alright!?

Darkness: Y-yeah, just a bit tired...

You get up and pick her up as you walk away from the burnt grass. Megumin and aqua run up to you and begin healing darkness. A lot was taken out from her and simple healing magic won't help.