Invitation

It was an arranged meeting. The dancer suddenly received a letter, hand delivered by one of the emperor's guards, inviting her to the royal palace. It had specifically said that it was to have a meal with the emperor, not to perform. She decided to put on her best, most beautiful clothing that she brought from her hometown. That evening, a carriage came by to pick her up. It was her first time entering the palace as an expected guest of the emperor, so she felt anxious and nervous. She wondered why she was invited. A palace servant told her to sit at a small, rounded table inside a tall room, with windows looking out to the gardens. Foods were already piled high, and the maids asked if she would've liked something specifically.

"Do you have any Lippe tea from Siodonna?" The dancer asked. The maids bowed and hurried to the kitchen. The dancer waited and waited for the emperor to arrive. The food had already gone cold, and the Lippe tea had already lost its scent. Just as the dancer was about to leave, the emperor set foot into the room.

"Your majesty," The dancer bowed. "Long live Obelia." The emperor sat down. "Thank you for inviting me to your palace." "It wasn't my invitation." "Ah, but then why had I not been stopped at the front gate?" "Felix was just being nosy." The dancer laughed charmingly. "Then I suppose Felix is the one I must thank? Perhaps I should be dining with Sir Felix instead." "As you wish." The emperor got up and was ready to leave. "Wait a moment! Your majesty, I was just joking. No need to take everything seriously!" The dancer got up and coaxed him back to his seat, as if coaxing a child. She smiled. "My majesty is very cute. Please, try the tea. Although it has long gone cold, its flavor is still there. It's from my hometown, I hope it will be to your liking." The emperor took a sip, and paused. He set the teacup down. "You are from Siodonna?" "Yes. That is the place where I grew up. Oh, I also incorporate many Siodonnan elements into my performances. Even my clothes are from Siodonna." "I have noticed." The emperor took another sip of his tea. The dancer giggled. "My majesty seems to enjoy his tea. It's quite enjoyable! Whenever I drink the tea, it feels like flowers blooming in my mouth." The emperor stared at the beaming girl in front of him. He was still convinced that she was a fairy. "What is your name?" He asked her. "Oh, where are my manners? To think I haven't given you my name after all this time! I'm Diana, your majesty." Diana. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Diana." "I can say the same for myself, your majesty." A warm atmosphere flooded the room despite the food being cold.

 Diana and the emperor happily chatted away through the evening, with Diana leading most of the conversations, as the emperor was quite reserved

Diana and the emperor happily chatted away through the evening, with Diana leading most of the conversations, as the emperor was quite reserved. The time came for Diana to return home, and the emperor walked her to her carriage. "Thank you for granting me this lovely night, your majesty. I can't say I have ever experienced anything like this." "It was my pleasure. I..." The emperor trailed off. "Hmm?" The dancer asked. The emperor cleared his throat. "I suppose I'll see you again soon." Diana's face turned brighter than the sun. "Yes, your majesty!"

Diana thought she had made herself a new friend, that new friend being the emperor of all people! She sat and wondered about her dinner with him. He was kind and a gentleman. He was dignified and respectable. Diana couldn't believe the rumors about the emperor being a cold blooded tyrant. The warm night soon came to an end as Diana fell asleep, dreaming about spending another evening with his majesty. Perhaps, this was the start of a new beginning.