Farewell, My Love

Upon hearing the cries of Diana, Claude rushed into the room. Inside, he saw his lover struggling to even stay still. As he ran to her side, a thousand questions flooded his mind. 

Will Diana be alright? Did the capsules and elixirs not work? Will the premature birth affect Diana in some way? What about the child's mana? Will Diana survive this? Claude didn't know the answers to them. All Claude knew was that he didn't want Diana to be in pain. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked. "How much does it hurt?" He had a worried expression on his face. Diana weakly reached out her hand to Claude. "It's alright, my majesty." She managed a smile. "It doesn't hurt, I'm just so excited our child is finally coming." She told him it didn't hurt, but truth is, the pain was so big Diana wasn't sure she could even tolerate it. At this point, doctors and magicians flooded into the room. The mages examined the mana coming from Diana's body, while the doctors checked on her. "How is she?" Claude asked them. 

"My majesty, my lady is doing well! But the child seems..." The doctors replied. This was not the same answer the mages gave Claude. "The child's mana is going out of control!" They told him. 

"What?!" Claude stood up. He then started to use his own strength to absorb the child's mana, easing the stress on Diana's body. "Your majesty! You mustn't do this! This will be too big of a toll on your body!" The magicians cried. 

"Silence!" He spat. "Do you expect me to let Diana bear this pain instead?" He resumed absorbing the child's mana. "Claude... Claude..." A weak voice said. He turned to Diana and saw her hand pulling the corner of his robes. "Please stop, I will be alright." 

"Do YOU expect me to just sit here and do nothing while this child is taking away your life?" Just as he said these words, Diana winced in pain and her grip on his robes tightened. 

"AGH!" She cried. "Claude, it's painful!" 

"Your majesty! The child's mana is quickening the birth process!"

"Her highness is growing weaker!" 

"Lady Diana! Please stay awake!" 

"Claude, I'm sorry. I might have to leave after all." She faintly said. 

"Don't leave me Diana! I swear I'm going to forget you if you do! I will erase you from my memory if you leave me! Stay alive!" Claude heard these words come out of his mouth. 

Everything happened in a flash. Claude's mind couldn't process all of it. The next thing he knew, he heard the cries of a baby. The midwife held the newly born baby in her arms. Claude looked down at Diana, who was still breathing faintly. Her hand was no longer on his robes. "Diana!" He held her weak body in his arms. "Don't go!" 

Diana's purple eyes met his. "Claude," She spoke faintly. "Our baby, is she healthy?" She spoke in a voice loud enough to barely hear. Claude tried to calm himself. He tried to speak steadily, as if everything will be just fine. "Yes Diana, she's healthy." He said while managing a warm smile. "Don't you hear her loud cries?" Hearing this, Diana tried to smile, but she couldn't even manage a small crescent. 

"Athanasia." She said. 

Oh right, Claude thought. He never continued the discussion about naming their child since he busied himself with finding a cure for her for all these months. While he was trying to save her life, all Diana thought about was their child. 

"I like the name. Did you come up with it by yourself?" He gently asked her. 

But there was no response. 

"Diana?"

No response. It was the quietest Diana has ever been. Claude gently shook her shoulders. No response.