Side Story: The Lady and The Knight

Lillian woke up one morning in a particularly happy mood. It was the day after Princess Athanasia's first birthday. Claude and Diana threw a celebration for their daughter's first birthday, and they invited people across the kingdom to witness the princess's special day. Among these guests were a multitude of suitors from different families of handsome suitors. Lillian was invited to this celebration as well. 

Unexpectedly, the minute she left Diana's side after giving Athanasia her blessings, the suitors made their way to her side. 

"Good evening, my lady." One guy said to her. "I'm Alexander, second son of House Lancaster." Lillian could only politely smile to him, but she was scowling inwardly. Throughout the years of attending parties held by aristocrats, she has repeatedly made it clear that she was not interested in any suitors that may present themselves to her. All she wanted was to quietly have a fine wine in hand and watch others dance in the ballroom. 

Another young man came striding towards her. "Miss York! I believe we've met each other before." He stated.

"Oh... yes, we have." Lillian replied politely. It was William Clifford, that arrogant son of Earl Clifford. They met at a previous dinner party, where William kept asking for Lillian's hand for a dance. She accepted the first dance as a ladylike gesture, but declined the rest, saying she felt tired. However, William wouldn't take no for an answer and kept reaching for her hand. It was such a tiring and disappointing situation Lillian had to endure, of course she would remember who this William Clifford was. 

"It has been such a long time since we've last talked, we must catch up on the dance floor!" William gestured towards the ballroom's dancing grounds. "Will my lady dance with me, like she did the last time we met?" He inquired. 

Lillian took a sip of her wine. She was too drained to dance, especially with William. However, she looked up towards the two thrones at the North side of the ballroom. Claude was sitting with Athanasia in his lap, while Diana received gifts and blessings for the baby from various guests. The night was still young, and there was still considerable time before Athanasia's celebration was over. She didn't want to ruin the party by causing a scene where she refuses to dance with William Clifford. Though unwilling, Lillian reluctantly gave him her hand. 

However, just before William was about to take her hand, Lillian's hand was taken by someone else instead. 

"Sir Robaine!" Cried William Clifford. The surprised Lillian gazed up at the handsome man holding her hand, while the scared William slowly inched away from them. 

"I'm sorry, William, but I need to talk to Lillian right now." Felix said with an intimidating look.

"O-of course, Sir Robaine." Replied William. "I'll get out of your way right now." He scurried away. 

Felix breathed out a sigh. "Sorry, Miss York. It's just that... I noticed you looked uncomfortable when he was talking to you." 

Lillian sucked in a breath. "It's no problem at all!" She said. "You're absolutely right, I did indeed feel some slight discomfort when talking to him. I must thank you for saving me from that situation." 

Felix looked down and smiled bashfully. "Ah well, I'm glad you're out of that situation now." Felix replied. Lillian kept looking at Felix, which prompted him to ask, "Is there something wrong?"

That caught Lillian off guard. "Oh! It's nothing, Sir Robaine! Just that... could you please let go of my hand?" 

They both looked down and saw Felix's hand clasping Lillian's, similar to the way Claude held Diana's hand; fingers intertwined. 

"GAH!" Felix cried as he hurriedly let go of her hand. His neck and ears quickly turned as red as his hair. "Sorry about that, I didn't realize I was still holding on." 

The flustered appearance of Felix was quite a sight for Lillian to behold. Not only was Sir Robaine handsome and talented, but he was also shy and puppylike.  She found this to be rather funny, but also slightly cute. She let out a laugh. 

"It's alright, Sir Robaine. We've been acquainted with each other for some time now, as we both serve their royal highnesses. If it's alright with you, would you like to dance with me?" She asked him. 

"Eh?" Felix said. "But, I'm just a knight; I barely dance, and it's been a long while since the last time I did dance." He said rather awkwardly. 

Hearing this, Lillian feigned being hurt. "Oh... this is the first time I've ever asked a man to be my dancing partner, I didn't expect to be rejected on my first attempt." 

"Miss York, I-I didn't mean-!" Felix stuttered. 

Lillian suddenly looked up at him with a bright smile, and Felix realized he'd been guilt tripped. He gave in to her. 

Felix did a deep bow and extended his hand. "Please take my hand, Miss York." 

The two then stepped into the dancing crowd as graceful music played in the background. 

At the far North side of the ballroom, Lady Diana noticed a red haired man paired with a brunette woman. On second glance, she realized that it was Felix and Lillian! Who would've thought the seclusive Lillian would be dancing with the notoriously bad-with-ladies Sir Felix! Beside Claude, she giggled inwardly before resuming her conversation with him. 

***

Remembering what had happened at yesterday's party, Lillian's face turned red as she realized what she had done. She scolded herself for drinking too many glasses of wine. Otherwise, she would never commit such an outrageous act of teasing Felix!