Mermaid AU pt 2

"This is your restaurant?" 

Diana walked into the spacious room filled with small tables and chairs. She recognized this place as a popular place in the city. Many locals would have coffee or tea at this spot, and she would be invited in sometimes. Claude invited her in during the restaurant's break time. 

"I like it a lot." She told him. 

Claude was busy trying to retrieve the conch shell from the display shelf. 

"Here," He handed it to her. "I heard your voice when I listened to it. I don't understand the logic behind it, but I believe you should have it." 

Diana held the shell in her hands for a brief moment, contemplating. Suddenly, she handed it back to Claude. 

"I think you should keep it." Claude stared at her wide eyed. 

"Why?" He asked. "No, no. I insist, you keep it." 

Diana pushed the shell back into his hands. "Please, it's yours." 

Diana was relentless in insisting that Claude should keep the shell. Claude had no choice but to give in to her demands. 

"Are you the owner of this restaurant?" Diana changed the subject. 

"Yes, it was passed onto me recently actually." Claude said while making a drink for Diana behind the bar. "The family business was owned by my brother, but he passed away a few years ago, and his wife died in childbirth recently. I've been raising their child along with my other family members." 

"Do you not have a lover of your own?" Diana asked curiously. 

Claude looked at her curious smile and slightly blushed. He couldn't believe a woman as beautiful as her was asking him about his love life. 

"No..." He started. "But I might. Soon."

Diana laughed and asked, "What do you mean by 'soon'?" 

Claude set the glass of lippe tea down next to Diana and folded his arms down on the table. He leaned in towards Diana, who looked startled and shy at the same time. She thought he was going to kiss her. 

With a small smile on his lips, Claude said, "I'm just saying, if I play my cards right, perhaps my lady will give me a chance." 

Claude was about to back away from Diana when she tugged on his arm. To Claude's surprise, she leaned in towards him this time. She leaned in even closer than he had, with their lips barely touching. 

"I wish to stay here." She said. "May I help out at the restaurant?" 

She looked up and saw a red-faced Claude. "Yeah, yes, sure thing, miss Diana." He stammered. Claude recognized her words from the conch shell. 'I wish to stay here', she told the conch shell. Here, she told him the same thing. Could this mean that she wanted to love him? 

After a long day of work, Diana and Claude both were tired as they finished cleaning up the restaurant. Claude realized that Diana had a knack for working at a restaurant. She had surprisingly good charisma when communicating to customers, and she was a fast learner. She quickly memorized the names of each dish and drink, as well as the tables and the orders of the customers. Of course, with Diana being a mermaid, memorization was an easy task for her. She could easily recall anything as long as she was heard the customers. But, Claude didn't know that. 

"You did well today, Diana." Claude praised her. "Will you be here tomorrow as well?" 

"Of course! I loved helping out today, Claude." She returned. 

Claude expected Diana to leave and return home, but she unexpectedly stayed behind in the restaurant even after Felix and Lillian, Claude's two employees, left home. "Aren't you going home?" 

Diana paused before coming up with an answer. She could go back to the oceans, but for some reason, she really didn't want to enter the cold waters again. She wanted to experience the warmth of the city evening and the cool breeze a bit more. 

"Do you have a place to stay?" Claude asked her. "If not, you can stay at my place." 

Diana's head jerked up. "Yes!" She replied, a bit too quickly. 

"Hmm?" Claude raised an eyebrow at her. 

"I meant," Diana tried to explain herself. "If that's alright with you, may I please stay with you tonight?" 

For some reason, Claude's heart felt giddy when he heard this. His cheeks turned pale red as he replied, "Yes." 

At his home, Claude prepared a guest bedroom for Diana. Jeanette was still a little baby, so she was currently in the care of her mother's sister. So this means, Claude was alone with Diana, but he wouldn't do anything to harm her. He prepared the bed for her and accommodated her needs. Diana found Claude's actions to be quite adorable and she couldn't help but feel like teasing him whenever she found the chance to. That night was the first night she spent on land with legs. However, this also meant she had 48 hours until she needed to be back into the waters again. 

She was willing to take the risk.