Autumn Festival

It was the day of the autumn festival. It has been an entire season since the emperor met Diana. In their last meeting, Diana mentioned the autumn festival. The streets would be lit with golden lanterns, and vendors would sell all kinds of delicious food and beautifully handcrafted trifles. Games would be available for children and adults to play, and shows would be performed by talented artists. "I hope your majesty would be able to come, even if it's just for a little bit," Diana had said to the emperor. "I'll be performing the opening show, and for the rest of the festival, I'll be free to accompany your majesty!" The emperor had a new expression on his face. Although still quite expressionless, he seemed to be excited. Through their meetings, Diana learned that the emperor wasn't one to easily show emotions on his face, but she could tell how he was feeling based on his eyes. "It'll depend on my work schedule, but I'll do my best to come." He replied. Diana sighed with relief, and was instantly filled up with anticipation. "Your majesty, your presence at the festival would surely cause a lot of shock, would it really be alright for you to come?" She asked. During their first meeting, Diana noticed that the people all seemed to be avoiding the emperor, albeit still curious about him. They would sneak glances at him, secretly observing their handsome emperor. "Don't worry, Diana. I'll take care of my appearance."

At the opening show, Diana delivered a wonderful dance. She lept and spun in the air, waving silks as if they were her wings. Her jewelry jingled and clinked against each other. The dance was as stunning as the dancers, truly an impressive performance. After the show, Diana noticed the emperor approaching her. "Your majesty!" She gasped quietly. "I'm so glad you came! But, why aren't the people noticing?" She looked around at the people who acted like no one of importance was among them. The emperor smiled slightly, amused at Diana's wonder. "I used transformation magic. To them, I look like a brown-haired, brown-eyed man, who looks a bit too plain to be talking to a fairy like you. Your performance was beautiful." Diana stared wide-eyed at the emperor for a few seconds, and then looked down and blushed. She wasn't expecting the compliment at all, and it caught her off guard. "Call me Claude for tonight." She looked up with even wider eyes. How could a commoner like her refer to the emperor of Obelia by his first name? "Y-your majesty, I don't think I..." She began. "It's just to help conceal my true identity. There's no need to fret. It's only for tonight." The emperor assured her. With trembling lips, Diana called out, "Claude." Claude's eyes seemingly shook. Both individuals were experiencing things they never felt before tonight. Diana broke the silence. "Let me show you around the festival, you look like a lost boy right now." She showed off a cheeky smile while offering her hand. Claude took it and was promptly dragged into the bustling streets of the festival. They enjoyed playing festival games, with Diana beating Claude at about every single one. They shared a meal, which Diana ordered for them. They walked through the streets, lit brightly by the golden lanterns, with Diana guiding. They even bought each other trinkets. Diana bought Claude an intricately crafted wooden sparrow, while Claude bought Diana a purple aster hairpin. As night settled in, they watched the stars together.

"Thank you for coming, your majesty." Diana said. The people were now already returning home, and they were on an isolated patch of grass, so Diana referred to Claude as 'your majesty' again. "I probably had the best time of my life today, and it's all because of you. I really enjoy my majesty's company." Claude looked at the dancer in front of him. She looked dazzling, brighter than any star in the night sky. "Likewise."

Both returned home feeling light and, to put it simply, happy. Diana sat on her bed, wondering what today meant to her. She placed a hand on her heart, only to find it beating rapidly when she thought about Claude. Claude. She called the emperor of Obelia by his first name. It was a special privilege and Diana couldn't help but blush at the thought of calling his majesty's name sweetly. Claude returned to the palace to find a smug Felix waiting for him. "I saw you with Lady Diana from the clock tower. You two seemed close." Claude immediately put up a blank expression and glared at Felix. He couldn't find anything to say to retort back to him, because what Felix said was true. They were close today. Diana even called him Claude. Claude wanted to hear more of it, but he couldn't afford the feelings he was experiencing today. He couldn't get any closer to Diana than they already were. He was the emperor, and his name had a bad reputation to him. Even though he killed his brother as self defense, the nobles had spread rumors that Claude killed Anastacius only for the crown. He was under constant judgment by the nobles, and as emperor, he naturally had enemies who plotted against him. For Diana's safety, he couldn't get any closer to her. He just couldn't.