Dance With Me?

"I won't leave." These words kept echoing in Claude's ears. Her tone felt genuine, honest, and a little desperate.

"I am but a humble dancer from Siodonna. I know not the laws of the palace, for I was always free to roam wherever I please. But if your majesty lets me into his heart, if your majesty chooses to trust me," Diana said as she stroked Claude's hair. "I'll be your most faithful lover."

Claude looked up into Diana's eyes. In them, he saw his own purple reflection.

"I trust you."

***

And so, a commoner and the emperor fell in love. It was uncommon for emperors to have commoners as lovers, or even concubines. Claude made an unprecedented move: he didn't take any concubines, and made Diana his one and only lover. Diana resigned from her job as a dancer and chose to live inside the imperial palace with Claude. She chose to live in the Ruby palace, for it was next to the gardens and closest to the place she loved. News of the imperial couple spread, and soon, Diana was the talk of the town. Her rise to fame made it difficult for her to make public appearances without drawing a crowd, but with her free spirit, she decided to visit the city regularly and her popularity skyrocketed. Obelia loved Diana. Her popularity had even outmatched that of the noble families, which was another gain for Claude and Diana. The two were an attractive couple. About a few weeks later, Claude arranged for a formal debut of Diana.

"You want to hold a grand celebration for me?" Diana asked Claude, wide-eyed.

"Yes," he replied. "It is only natural to do so." He looked at Diana expectantly.

"I suppose so, but isn't a celebration this size too excessive?" She pointed to the list of arrangements. There were going to be 750 guests, both from Obelia and from neighboring kingdoms. Claude also arranged for Diana's family from Siodonna to come, as well as some of her family friends so they feel comfortable. A grant feast will be provided, and the streets of Obelia will be decorated with lights and flowers. There will then be a 7-day celebration, each with its own theme and will be marked a national holiday. All for the debutante of Diana.

"I think it's appropriate." Claude said. "Oh my dear love," Diana sighed. After a long conversation, Diana finally got Claude to reduce the celebration to only the 1-day grand feast and dance celebration.

"My parents and siblings will be there also, are you planning to meet them formally there?" Asked Diana. "I was thinking that this can just be our first greeting, with me as the emperor. I plan to meet them formally after the celebration." Claude said. "By the way, you're the main star of this event." Diana nodded. "Who would you like to have your first dance with?"

"Ah, I was thinking maybe with Felix." Diana joked. "He's the one who introduced me to you, and he helped us through lots of times. I was thinking I could have my first dance with him to thank him." She looked at Claude teasingly. Felix, who was just passing by, caught wind of the situation. He saw a smiling Diana and a dreadfully calm Claude.

It's the calm before the storm, Felix thought. I hope his majesty doesn't decide to murder me.

"Lady Diana!" Felix entered the room. "I'm not much of a dancer, I think you should reconsider this matter. Plus, you do not have to thank me, I was just performing my duties as your faithful servant." He bowed deeply, praying to himself that Diana will choose Claude next. Diana started laughing.

"I was just joking!" She said between laughs. "I'm sorry Felix, for putting you in such a position. You may resume your work." Felix scurried away. "Claude, my dear, stop shooting him death glares. I was only teasing you! Ahahahaha..." She stood up and gave Claude plentiful kisses on his face, then took Claude's hand.

"Will my majesty do the honor of having my first dance with me?" 

Claude smiled. "I suppose I'll do the favor."