Hope and Regret

That night, Diana returned to the Ruby palace with a heavy heart. Claude wanted Diana to reconsider her decision, but no matter how much he pleaded, she remained adamant on giving birth to their child. 

Under the moonlight, a fair lady sat solemnly in her chair, hand to her stomach, while a single tear slid down her cheek. Claude witnessed this, but right as when he was about to leave her, he came into the room. He clasped Diana's arms. "I've lost. I've lost from the very moment I played this game with you. But this isn't a game anymore! I'll beg you if you want me to!" 

Diana was confused and in shock. "Why... why do you speak this way?"

Claude cut in. "Don't think about anything else. Decide this with only yourself in mind. Don't leave. Choose me. Choose me instead of the child that's eating away at your life as we speak!" 

 Choose me instead of the child that's eating away at your life as we speak!" 

Please don't leave me, he wanted to say. Please live, and I'll do the rest. 

But Diana didn't say a word. She wept and grabbed onto Claude's shoulders. She didn't want to leave her child, but she didn't want to leave Claude either. 

"Please say you'll stay, Diana." Claude pleaded. After getting no response from the woman in his arms, he let go of her. 

"If you are so set on giving birth to this child, then so be it. I'll do everything to make sure you'll be alright, okay?" Claude gently wiped Diana's tears away and kissed her forehead. "Get some rest for today. I'll look into ways that I can regulate the child's mana for you." And with that, Claude left the Ruby Palace. 

Claude spent the next few months searching for a solution that could prevent Diana's death. He ordered all of the magicians in Obelia to research how to regulate a fetus's mana and looked through all of the libraries in Obelia, searching for topics related to birth and mana. In the meantime, Diana made less frequent public appearances and had less tea parties with her ladies. Her stomach was now starting to swell. She felt that her baby would be very healthy, feeling relieved but sad at the same time. She might never get to see her baby grow up. Nevertheless, she hoped her daughter will be a successful princess.

"What would my majesty like for his daughter to be named?" She asked Claude one day during his break. "She's our child, so her name should carry the meaning of 'immortality' or 'eternity'." He replied. He didn't give Diana much of a reply, but to Diana, that was him implying that he wanted her to name their child. Diana started to think of names befitting their child while also following the traditions for naming a member of the imperial family. She thought it was a joyous task.

A lot of time had passed since the day Diana was told her baby was eating away at her life. Even though these words weighed heavily on Diana at the start, she didn't feel any negative effects. But one day, all of Diana's worries were lifted when a maid came rushing into her room, exclaiming that his majesty found a cure for the baby's fluctuating mana. 

"You can't be serious! His majesty found a solution?" Diana stood up from her desk and beamed happily. "Yes, yes!" The maids told her. Diana was so relieved. It must be a blessing from God, she thought. A maid then told her that his majesty was waiting for her in the living room of the Ruby Palace. Diana hurried to get there, clutching her swollen belly. Her steps were light. Diana couldn't be happier. 

As soon as she arrived in the living room, Claude got up and embraced Diana. The embrace was quite difficult due to Diana's stomach, but he looked so content. Claude told Diana about the magicians' findings: they had developed a capsule that would stabilize the unborn child's mana, paired with an elixir that will heal Diana's body and also ensure the child's safe delivery. It seemed that everything was going to be fine after all. Claude was happy that Diana was able to stay, and Diana was just happy that Claude was happy. The couple was overjoyed at this. 

Diana prayed to God and thanked God repeatedly for allowing such a miracle to happen. Such a miracle was... completely unexpected. Regulating mana through material forms, such as a capsule, was undiscovered until now. Perhaps it was through God's hands that Diana's life could be saved through such a discovery. 

Then again, maybe miracles like this weren't supposed to have happened in the first place. Maybe this discovery was never meant to be. Maybe Diana shouldn't have escaped the cruel clutch of fate. Maybe this wasn't actually a miracle, but a curse instead. A curse that would lead to Diana's death again. 

Diana was about to drink her elixir one morning when she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. She dropped the precious glass bottle, shattering it, and crouched in discomfort. No way, she thought. A premature birth? There was still a month left in her pregnancy. She cried out desperately for Lillian.

"My Lady!" Lillian cried when she saw Diana in that state. She quickly transported Diana to her bed. Lillian called for the emperor and for the palace doctors. When she looked back at Diana, she appeared weak. Diana has never looked so pale before. Lillian felt scared. So, so scared. As if Diana was living the last moments of her life. She covered her face and rushed over to Diana's side. "My lady! How are you feeling?" She asked. 

"Claude... get Claude, please."