2012!💙🐢||Regrets

You didn't think you'd see the day.

Leo looked so small, so ashamed of himself that he couldn't even meet your eyes. He was fidgeting with the bandages on his knuckles, something he doesn't usually do.

"I'm so sorry." He sighed in guilt "Karai just--"

"Its alright." You placed a hand on his shoulder. "I know you never stopped loving her. And I understand your feelings." It stung. A lot. But you forced back the tears threatening to spill. You had to stay strong. For him. For yourself.

"You're not mad at me?" He looked up at you, still filled with shame with himself. You were a great person. You never lacked in anything, always helping and always a person any one could rely on. You were the one he puts his trust on completely.

But Karai had his heart.

You shook your head "No. I can never be mad at you for being true with your feelings." You gave him a small bitter smile. Honestly, you should be upset right now. Your boyfriend of three years just straight up said he's breaking up with you, but you weren't blind. You could see the lingering gazes and longing sighs coming from Leo whenever Karai was around. You accepted the fact that she occupied a lot more space on his heart than you did.

You already knew this was going to happen.

But you did appreciate the efforts he put in this relationship. Like late night dates on the Statue of Liberty's crown,(it was beautiful but scared the shit out of you) pretending to split up during patrols so he can drop by and give you a flower he took from someone's garden (hehe), and of course the sweet kisses exchanged between giggles during Space Heroes marathons.

It was oh so sweet while it lasted.

Leo smiled at you in appreciation. He felt relief but also bitter for doing this to someone as sweet as you.

"But why?" He asked. You blinked. Why?

"Because I love you. And I want you to be happy." His head shrunk back in his shell. You giggled and pulled his bandana to pop his head back out. "Bro, if we dated, I gotta like you somehow right?"

Leo didn't meet your eyes "R-Right..."

You straightened your back, pulling out a token of your love from your pocket and placing it in his hand, making sure the gift was hidden tightly in his fist. Leo blinked at it questionably.

"Well..." You patted his fist "I better go now. Still gotta fill up those college applications." You walked away out of the lair. You probably wont be able to come here for a long while... You just hoped this wouldn't affect your friendship with the others and himself too much.

Once you were out of the sewers, you finally let the tears flow down your cheeks. You took a deep breath, trying to stay as calm as possible. You already knew this was going to happen, but it still hurt nonetheless. Oh how you truly did love Leo, but you love yourself more to let yourself be left in ruins. It was sad that you had to prepare yourself for this. Sad that things had to end this way.

You weren't mad at Leo. You weren't mad at Karai nor were you going to compare yourself to her. You knew you did your best and stayed true to love so, if love can't love you back then you'll just have to start focusing your love on yourself.

Meanwhile Leo's eyes remained on the entrance after you left. He wanted you to be upset, hit him or yell at him. Tell him that he was a no good bastard. The fact that you didn't, and put on a brave smile made you so admirably beautiful that it hurt.

He looked down on his hand. He still had whatever it was that you gave him. He didn't know if he even deserved anything in this world at all for hurting you like this.

But out of curiosity, he slowly opened his hand and gasped at the blue velvet box sitting in the palm of his hand.

No. It couldn't be.

His breathing increased. His heart pounded so loud in his chest as he slowly held a shaking limb to open the box.

There, sitting on a plush mini pillow, was a band of gold big enough to fit his finger, shimmering proudly under the lamp light. Because the ring was large, he could easily see the engraving inside.

'To my greatest love' it read.

Leo slapped a hand over his mouth. Flashbacks of the times you spent together hit him harder than a tidal wave. The sweet hugs, those late night dates, the sweet sneaky little kisses, proclamations of love under the warmth of your cuddles, your gentle touches. Your love.

Why? Why did he let the most important person in his life go?!

The overwhelming guilt was too much for the poor terrapin. He didn't realise he was already holding the ring close to his chest. He didn't realise he was on his knees, shaking violently. He didn't realise that he was screaming at the agony in his heart nor did he see his brothers had ran into the room in panic asking if he was okay.

He wasn't okay.

He just gave away the one thing that made everything okay.

And it was all his fault.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm so so so so sorry!!!" He cried out loudly. Completely ignoring what his brothers were saying. You were already gone. And you most likely would never want to see him again.

That thought made him cry even louder, clutching the ring as if it was his last hope in living. Not that he had any now. Not after he completely disregarded it.

All that he is now is a pathetic pile of shame and regret.