8.

"I just don't get why he acts like that every time it involves Kulsum"

"They were friends" Sabrina's mother stated calmly, "His reaction is understandable. Besides, I'm sure you only speak ill of her" She narrowed her eyes at her daughter, still not able to understand how the girl could act in such way. She's an adult now, who has kids by the way. Shouldn't she be more mature?

Sabrina looked away from her mother's piercing gaze. She came to her so she can complain about her husband not to get scolded. By the looks of it though, things won't go her way.

"Exactly" Her mother took her silence as her answer, "Do you now understand why he reacts in such way?"

Sabrina released an exasperated sigh. "Mama...I barely talk about her because I don't want to. She's gone already. Aren't we supposed to forget about people that died? Because lately I feel like everyone's conversation revolves around her" She shook her head; hands thrown in the air to show her exasperation. She didn't want to reminiscence the past. Why can't they all just do the same? What's the point of dwelling in the past?

Her mother dropped her hands on her thighs, eyes slightly squinted at her daughter. "Forget about the people that died?" She repeated Sabrina's words, disbelief coating her tone.

Sabrina blinked, then gulped when she realizes how what she'd said sounded. "Mama..." She was too caught up in her anger that she didn't notice the slip off she made.

"Sabrina I lost a child!" Her mother cut her off, her voice raising slightly. "And you're telling me that we're supposed to forget about the people that died?" Her lips curled into a deep frown, her brows drawn in. She's barely able to contain her anger at the moment. The girl just crossed the firm line her mother didn't want anyone to dare cross.

But she did.

Sabrina blew out a low breath, lips parting to utter something but, nothing came out. "Um...I..." She couldn't figure out the exact words to explain what she meant. She understands how her mother feels. She feels the same way too but...the situation is different.

Her mother held a hand to stop her, "Enough" She said, eyes still narrowed at Sabrina, "I don't want to hear a word about this again"

Sabrina blew out a breath, then nodded knowing that she better keeps quiet in situations like that. She wouldn't want to irk her mother more—it wouldn't be a good for anyone; especially not her.

Her mother looked away, then took long calming breaths to calm herself down; eyes still narrowed at her daughter.

Just how could the girl say that? Does she have any idea just how much she did for the child she lost? Just how much it affected and changed her?

Of course she didn't, because she only enjoys the benefit.

~*~

"Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" Dr. Batoulah's friend, Dr. Zainab asked the minute the woman took her seat beside her desk, dropping her bag next to files of patient she has to see that day.

Batoulah shook her head, glancing at her friend whom she shares and office with as they are both fellows in the Obstetrics ward. Realizing that she did not put on her white coat, she stood and extended her hand towards the coat hanger where she had draped the coat and then shrugged it on. "I honestly don't know anymore..." She muttered; still stunned.

Zainab chuckled. She knows her friend to exaggerate stuff way more intense than they really are and she expected the same thing at the moment. That to say doesn't mean she dislikes it. Batoulah brings the life out of everything—especially a long, exhausting day at work.