17.

ABUJA,

NIGERIA.

Zayn headed home the next day.

He would be lying if he said he didn't hope to see Batoulah board the plane as him since they are going to the same place on the same day but luck wasn't on his side because there was no sight of her at all.

After the events that had happened in Duste, he was more than happy to return home. That was why the minute he was in the confines of his apartment, he shrugged off his jacket and crashed on the bed, taking the long deserved nap that he hadn't gotten at all.

By the time he woke up again, it was dark. He got off the bed quickly and did the prayers he missed. He didn't intend to sleep for that long but it seemed his body had a different mind of its own.

When he checked his phone, there were missed calls from Kamal. That meant the goofball was done with his task and safe as Zayn anticipated. He dialed the man's phone number, while making his way over to the kitchen to get something to eat.

Kamal picked up after the fourth ring. "I know you'll call me back. Did you miss me this much Zayyanu?"

Zayn hissed, wishing Kamal was close to him so he could throw him a glare. "You'll always be mentally unstable"

"So will you" Kamal threw back, "Birds of the same feather, remember?"

Zayn had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at Kamal's goofiness. "Is this why you called me? Because I'm just wasting my airtime"

"No" Kamal suddenly sounded serious. "I heard what happened while I was gone"

Zayn nodded, though Kamal couldn't see him. He didn't ask who told him, it was pretty much obvious. That man Zayn met at Salma's home. "Yeah it's quite unfortunate"

"I agree" Came Kamal's voice. The lark from earlier that was coating his tone now no longer there. "But didn't you find it suspicious that the daughter was found in the house, sleeping soundly on her parent's bed?"

Zayn who had started brewing himself a cup of hot coffee stopped what he was doing, lips tugged into a frown. "What?"

"Exactly what I thought" Kamal sighed from the other end. "After everything, when the father returned, the girl was there, sleeping soundly on the bed unharmed"

"How is that possible?"

"Someone got into the house and brought her. She hasn't said a word regarding it no matter how many times she was asked. All she asked of is her mother. It's heartbreaking honestly"

It was Zayn's turn to let out a long sigh. The coffee machine pinged, indicating it's done. He picked up his now refilled cup of hot coffee and made his way over to a couch in the living room, settling on it. "The mother's death, the daughter's disappearance and her sudden reappearance all sounds so weird, doesn't it?"

"I thought about that too. But according to the gateman, no one got in or out"

Zayn released an annoyed grunt, before taking a sip of his coffee. "I don't trust that man. He gives off the bad vibes"

"Same thing I thought" There was this sound in Kamal's voice that he uses when he's trying to keep someone in suspense. Thankfully, he spoke beforeZayn threaten to remove his eye balls. "I had him questioned,nicely"

"And by nicely you mean"

"Just a couple of punches here and there when he refused to cooperate. Nothing serious" Kamal said nonchalantly but both he and Zayn knew it was deeper than that. In simple words, he did what he had to do to get answers that the man otherwise wouldn't give out easily.