23.

She chuckled humorlessly at the stunned expression on his face. "Wasn't it obvious? She was perfect, wasn't she? Just like her mother" She spatted, pure venom lacing her tone and facial expression.

Zayn remained rooted in his spot. Honestly, he doesn't know just how much revelations he can take. "What?" His voice came out low, almost too low.

"That's right" She nodded, wiping the tears furiously. She then sniffed, looking up as if that would stop the tears. When she looked down at him again, they no longer flowed like before. "Her mother was your father's second wife..."

She must've realized that confusion was still very much evident on Zayn's face before she spoke her next words, explaining the situation to him.

"Well, my husband dearest married her after I've had our first and only children, the twins; Ahmed and Sabrina" She paused for a while, and Zayn didn't need her to speak to know that she wasn't talking about him. "If I didn't know better then I'd say he loved her more than anything" She hissed. "But marrying her was one thing, having her kill my son was another"

At that point, Zayn didn't know how to react again really. He has an inkling where the story is going, and it's safe to say it does not justify her actions one bit.

"It was an accident, they all said" She stated, then scoffed. Those were the words she refuse to believe for more than two decades. "One time...the very one time! I allowed her to go out with him one time because she apparently loves him and what? They got into an accident where only he died" She hissed slightly, shaking her head.

That wasthe incident that first changed her. She didn't take the loss of her child well, especially not after she was told that she couln't give birth again so she cherished and loved her two children more than anything in the world. So of course, when she her co-wife that she didn't particularly like killed her child, in her words, she didn't quite take it well.

Zayn wondered why he never knew of his father's second wife, or maybe, she is his mother. The woman that is. "What happened to her?" He finally managed to ask.

She shrugged carelessly, "Six feet underground with her daughter. I'm sure they are enjoying each other's company in hell"

"You killed her?"

"No I didn't" That is one fact she never lied about. She didn't have a hand in her co-wife's death. The woman died while giving birth to her only daughter Kulsum, and then she was forced to take the daughter as hers by her husband dearest.

If only they all knew how much she hated the girl more than anything. She wanted nothing more than for her to feel the pain her mother caused her because every time she looks at her, all she saw was the woman responsible for her son's death.

Zayn simply stared at her in disbelief. How could she utter such grave words with nonchalance like that? She spoke of it as if she was discussing the weather or something. Has she always been that heartless?

"So I'm just..." Zayn's eyes clouded with tears again. All his life, he had been living a complete lie. "I'm not even part of the Danbatta family, am I?"

She shook her head. "No, you are adopted" She hated uttering those words, because she had always felt like Zayn was a replacemnt of the child she lost. So, she named him after her deceased son. She stepped closer to him, reaching out to hold him, the tears she had forced back now stinging her eyes.

A small, barely audible sob escaped his parted lips. His blurry eyes fixated on her. There was this ache in his heart that grew slowly, and it hurts the more he stared at the woman he grew up knowing as his loving mother who turned out to be anything but.