12.

DUSTE,

JIGAWA STATE,

NIGERIA.

Zayn blinked when he parted his eye lids. Moving his gaze round the unfamiliar room, he tried to make sense of the events that led there. Releasing a deep breath, he pushed himself up on his hands and tried to sit up, ignoring how his eyes blurred again that moment.

But he couldn't ignore the splitting headache that had him clutching the side of his head.

He faintly heard the door open, and then footsteps approaching him. Something being held out in front of him had him looking up, only for his gaze to fall on the last person he remembered seeing.

"Take this. It'll help" She said, handing him the bottle of water and some pills she had picked up from the side of his bed.

He shook his head, "No. I'm fine"

She hummed, giving him a look of disbelief. "I see" She muttered to herself. "If you don't take it the headache will not go away. But, if you want to keep passing out, then please, don't take it"

That caught his attention, and a second later he was taking the bottle and the pills from her; gulping it all in one go. When he was done, she took the bottle and placed it aside. She watched as he fixed the pillow with a little bit of difficulty, before leaning back. She could've helped him with it, but he looked like the type that won't appreciate such help.

So, she refrained from doing so and allowed him to do it himself.

He gave the room a brief glance again.

"You're in a hospital" She stated, answering his unvoiced question.

He nodded, "Figures" He muttered; before snapping his slightly narrowed eyes at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Personal reason" She answered, folding her hands over her torso. "I saw you pass out and so, brought you here. I guess that makes us even now" Dr. Batoulah said, feeling the weight of what happened to his car lifted off her shoulders.

He sighed again, then shook his head slightly; throwing his head back as he flickered his eyes close. "I told you to forget about it"

"I will now that I've paid you back"

"How long have I been out?"

"For about five hours" Her eyes flickered to the wall clock, "You need to rest more in order to gain your strength" She added.

He shook his head, making a move to shift his legs off the bed. "I don't need it, I'm good"

"Hate to break it to you but I'm the doctor here, not you" She offered him a wide smile was clearly fake as she folded her hands.

He rose a single brow. "You...a doctor?"

"Yes" Her lips curled into a proud grin. It always gives her joy to introduce herself as a doctor because it made her feel the years she spent in medical school, along with the mental breakdown she'd had are all worth it whenever she saves someone's life. "Now believe me when I say you need to rest"

"I have things to do"

"So do I. But here I am"

Zayn ignored her, slipping into his shoes. He pushed himself up the bed. He still had the headache as it hasn't been long since he took the medicine but he will not let that hold him down. He had worked through a harsher situation yet he's alive. Maybe if she knows who he is, she won't demand him to take a break.