24.

One chapter to go!

"How is she?"

"She's getting better. Slower than most but she's getting there" The doctor told Zayn, who stood opposite him. "We'll keep monitoring her and if there's anything, I'll let you know"

"Actually..." Zayn was quick to shake his head, "...if there's anything, call my sister, Sabrina. I will be leaving tomorrow so I'll be out of reach"

The doctor nodded in understanding, offering Zayn a warm smile. "Well, I wish you a safe trip back home then. And worry not, we'll take good care of your mother"

"I was hoping for that" Zayn offered him a small smile.

The doctor parted his lips to say something, hesitating for a while before he finally asked. "Would you like to see her today then? She had been asking about you"

Zayn didn't think about it before he shook his head. "No thank you" He repeated the same words he had told the doctor all those other times he was asked the same thing.

It was always a solid No.

He has visited the hospital more times that he'd like to admit, but not once has he ever made an attempt to see her. He only asks of her wellbeing, then leave. He knew he could do that over the phone but he preferred coming. At least then, he would stare at her from afar without having to talk to her then he leaves.

The doctor nodded again. He didn't know why he kept on asking despite getting the same answer all the time. Maybe, he was hoping the woman's son will finally see her so she could at least be happy.

She asks about him all the time. Whenever someone comes, she asks the same question. "Ahmed? Is that you?"

Of course, she's happy whenever she sees her daughter Sabrina who tries her best to visit her as much as she can. But even she gets the same question. "Where's your brother, Ahmed? Is he with you? When is he coming?"

Their response was always that Ahmed would come. And he does visit, but he never agrees to see her.

He doubts he could look at her without thinking of all the horrid things she had done. It already haunts him every single day and because of that, he had formed a new relationship with his antidepressants. If not for that, he doubted he could still be where he is at the moment.

That is more than he could handle.

Yet he couldn't stand not knowing how she is. She is still his mother despite everything and it won't change the fact that he loved her to no ends. It gave him the littlest bit of peace whenever he came and saw how she is doing.

But he knew he has to return. His time in Nigeria is over, and he couldn't stay longer than that. He's just glad knowing that she's getting better but he couldn't help but think about what would happen when she gets better fully.

If she recovers, then she will undergo trial and will face the consequences of her actions.

Zayn didn't know if he should he happy that justice will finally be served or to be sad that the only woman, the one person he knew as his mother would face the consequences that will, without a doubt be severe.

He tries to not think of the future that much and simply dwell in the present. He'll deal with that then.

"Well then, if you'll excuse me, Mr. Danbatta, I'll get going now" The doctor said, offering Zayn what is supposed to be a warm smile.

Zayn nodded softly, "Thank you for everything" He then slipped his hand into his and pulled out a paper. "Can you give this to her though? This is all I can offer right now"