9. Golden Onion.

''Hey, Jack. I am your partner today.'' Alice said with a smile.

''I thought you weren't part of this class?'' Jack asked with curiosity.

Alice hid her sly smile and answered, ''My classes changed suddenly...''

Jack was about to open his mouth, but then...

Their biology teacher, Mr. Molina started talking.

''In front of you is cells of onion roots.'' Mr. Molina said and continued, ''Separate them and label them on different phases of mitosis.''

''And the first partners to get everything right, will win...'' Mr. Molina grabbed a golden onion from the desk.

''The golden onion.''

''Yeah...'' Some of the students cheered with fake enthusiasm.

''Ladies first,'' Jack said and gave her the Microscope.

''What a gentleman,'' Alice said with amusement.

Jack chuckled.

Alice looked at the microscope with concentration, but then she opened her mouth, ''You have been close with Jessica... You two dating?''

Jack was about to answer, but then Alice gave the microscope back and said, ''Prophase.''

Jack nodded and wrote Prophase on the paper.

''You didn't even check it? What if I am wrong?'' Alice asked with curiosity.

''I am dumb... I will have to count on you with this.'' Jack said and continued, ''And no... I am not dating Jessica or anyone.''

''I see...'' Alice hid her smile and grabbed the microscope once again.

Jack with curiosity asked, ''What about you...?''

''What about me?'' Alice innocently asked while gazing at the microscope.

''You dating anyone...?'' Jack asked with slight nervousness, 'Why do I want her to deny it so much?!' He thought to himself.

Alice heard his heartbeat going rapid.

''I am not...'' Alice said and controlled her facial expression; otherwise, she might have the widest smile on her face.

Jack's heartbeat relaxed, and he nodded with a smile.

''Anaphase,'' Alice said and gave the microscope back to Jack, just in time to see his smile.

''Why are you smiling?'' Alice asked with a shy smile.

''I am glad that we might be winning the golden onion,'' Jack said a quick lie and wrote anaphase on the paper.

Alice pouted and grabbed the microscope once again.

''Metaphase.'' Alice instantly said.

Jack smiled and wrote it down.

After a minute of back and forth talking, they filled up the paper.

Jack gave the paper to Mr. Molina.

''Wow... Congratulations Miss Cullen, and Mister Mikaelson. Golden onion is yours.'' Mr. Molina said with a smile and gave the onion to Jack.

''Thanks.'' Jack smiled and walked back to Alice.

Alice gave a thumbs up with a cheerful smile.

Jack sat next to her and showed her the majestic golden onion.

''Who is going to keep it?'' Alice asked with a smile.

''I mean... I did work hard for this.'' Jack said.