Apple tree

Loud and heavy footsteps awoke me from my short slumber

        Loud and heavy footsteps awoke me from my short slumber. Who the hell could that be? I'd be damned if it was another dominion coming to yell at me for sleeping. I rubbed my eyes groggily to adjust my vision and slowly removed my plumy wings from my face to look up at the figure. It was Adona—who much to my dismay was a dominion—towering over me whilst squinting at her leather notebook, the ornate border of her bell sleeve hitting against it. Her focus was on the page, unaware that I was wide awake and gawking at her. Was she just going to stand there and not say anything? My gaze sprung to her hand, noticing that the golden staff she carried around religiously was nowhere in sight. That was surprising. She would never go anywhere without it. Some would even say that it was a bad omen to see Adona without her staff.

"Well, morning to you too Luka." She snapped her leather notebook shut, making the seal of God jammed between her fingers and the book more visible. Well, at least she had that.

"What do you want?" I replied, my voice filled with irritation due to have being woken up.

"I have some news for you, and I don't know whether you're going to like it or not."

My ears perked up. I had a feeling that it was going to be bad, but it piqued my interest. I nodded my head as a signal for her to continue.

"You have been chosen to convert Mammon," she began, "a lower class pride demon residing on earth."

I peered at her in shock, wrapping my arms tightly around my legs. Me, chosen to convert a demon? She must have been joking. I was no guardian angel, so that was utterly impossible.

"Adona, you know it's not right to joke about things like that, especially to a tired person." I faked a yawn just to sell it.

"Do you really think I'd come here to joke with you? I have dignity...and a whole lot of other duties to carry out, Luka."

I frowned. "But that makes absolutely no sense. I'm a throne, I'm no guardian angel."

"Why else do you think you haven't been given duties in a while? Ezekiel most likely wanted you to rest before being assigned."

My confusion contained to my furrowed brows. "What? Ezekiel? Why would he assign me?"

I refused to believe it. My own best friend, choosing me to convert a demon? I knew we hadn't talked in a few seasons, but he wouldn't get back at me for it by doing this.

Adona raked a hand through her blonde hair before letting out an exasperated sigh, the hoop earrings on her horizontal ears swaying. "Look, don't ask me, ask your best friend. I'm just following his orders."

"Maybe it's a mistake? You know, he could have meant someone el-"

"Luka of the Isaac family. A throne in the second sphere." Damn it. The wound was already open and all she did was squeeze lemon juice on it. "If it- makes you feel any better. I can check with him again."