Coffee or tea

"So, how are you Mik?" I questioned, resting my arms on the ice-cold handrail as Mikkel stood in front of the elevator wall, pressing buttons. We hadn't seen each other in a good minute, due to him being occupied with training.

       "Authorised personnel only, please place your book on the scanner."

       Mikkel was a bit surprised, but lifted his book hesitantly towards the scanner before I stopped him. "I'll take care of that."

      I placed my hand on the scanner. Although it clearly wasn't a book, the scanner was build to recognise other forms of identification. A red light travelled down my hand before the scanner retreated back to its home behind the walls.

      "Oh? Morning to both of you. Luka, you're here to see Ezekiel, correct?" A female voice, from the intercom, said.

      "Yeah, is he in his office?"

      "Yes he is. I'll notify him that you're on your way."

      "Thank you, Helena," I responded, and then spun back to Mikkel. "Back to my question, how are you?"

      "I'm...fine." He moved away from the flashing buttons and leaned against the steel wall perpendicular to the one I was standing at, gazing at his reflection.

       "What's wrong?"

       "It's...just, I'm nervous for you. It's been ages since you first when on a trip."

       I rubbed his arm in a comforting manner, "I'll be fine. Earth isn't that bad of a place, you know, compared to other planets."

       "Still...I don't want anything to happen to you," Mikkel stammered, failing to look me in the eyes. I glanced down at the floor. I hated seeing the sorrow his eyes held—and the fact that it was because of me, amplified this heart-wrenching feeling even more.

       "Nothing'll happen. Your brother's a strong one." I smiled. "And plus, we all have to get used to it. You're going to be Ezekiel's assistant soon...you have to let go of your fears, Mik."

       "I...I guess so."

       This was the time that Mikkel was written to be happy—after all he was going to be the assistant of the esteemed Ezekiel—but now, he was going to be worrying about me. I needed to find something that would raise his spirits, even temporarily.

      "I'll tell you what, since I'm here, you can explore Ezekiel's floor." Mikkel was destined to explore it sooner or later, but I thought it would be a better memory if it was with me.

      His eyes widened and his jaw fell open at my words. "Really?"

       "Of course." I watched as his whole face lit up. Mik opened the dark brown journal that was almost glued to his chest, and began jotting something down—it was the one I gave him a long time ago. "You still have that?"

       He nodded, not taking his eyes of the page. I let a grin slip. It was reassuring to see that Mik still had it, especially since I gifted it to him when he was quite young. Surprisingly, it was still in good condition—besides the bite marks at the top from his dog, Arlo. He brought the leather book closer to his chest, flashing the back of it. The two wings wrapped around each other that I engraved into it were still there.

       "Why are you smiling?"

       "It's nothing."

       He raised an eyebrow at my answer but shrugged it off. Mikkel remained silent for a while, focusing on whatever he was writing and leaving me to contemplate about him, even though he was right in front of me. I grew quite protective of him over the centuries we shared. I didn't want anything bad to happen to him, not again so I went out of my way to make sure of it, but this time I couldn't. I wasn't sure how long the lie would remain solid, and that was what scared me.