Reassurance

I tramped up the outstanding steps of the wooden stairs as the raven-haired sagged onto the final step, my heart heavy with ruth. He looked petrified beyond belief from what took place, of course his body was not, but his eyes gave another statement. I sat down beside him diffidently as he struggled to scour his hands of the derisive blood with his dark brown sleeves.

         I put one of his hands into my skimpy own, heedless of the dried blood on it. "Why...did you do it?"

        Mammon glanced at me before swallowing, and unmeshing our squawking hands slowly, like he wanted to luxuriate in my touch in the meanwhile. I felt a bit hurt, but said nothing about it. He sidled away from me on the step, aiming his knees in the direction of the metal railing. "Mammon...don't ignore me, please. I want to help you."

         "How are you going to help!?...A fucking monster like me..."

         "You're not a monster...," I replied, my tone as convincing as unworldly possible, and my hands insensible of what to do.

        "I beat the shit out of my best fuckin' friend, Luka! I watched him bleed right in front of me!..."

        I dragged my bottom lip harshly through the slit between the rows of teeth. I didn't understand how one could do this, but then be drowning in a river of remorse in spate. "I know this isn't something you'd do without being provoked...what happened between you two, Mammon?"

        The raven-haired mused the hickory awning window above the oaken landing. It was open, and unwonted gusts of cold wind were given to us by the dusk as a warning. His percipient fingers found their way on top of mine.

       "We were fightin' over me leaving. Thought he'd be happy honestly," he opined. "Vogel...wouldn't compare us anymore."

        "Compare him to you?"

        "Yeah, he'd compare him to myself so much. But he didn' want me to leave, and we kinda' just...threw insults at each other." Mammon kneaded his nape with his right hand. "But then all the shit he was saying...started getting...fuzzy, or muffled."

        My brows came together as I gazed at his agitated hands, trembling ever so slightly. Muffled? Could it have been that a bulging rage made him tune out? "And...then what happened?"

         "Everything just went black, almost like I passed out on the spot...but then I woke up, and he was bleeding. I think I punched him..." Mammon's body subdued a whole shudder. "His blood...was all over my hands. His fucking blood was all over my damn hands!..."

         My two arms rapidly adopted him, my hands fraughtly raking through his black hair in a bid to mitigate his non-linear emotions. I had never seen him like this, acutely panicked, acutely upset. I knew it wasn't him. I knew he would never do something like this, the very same way I knew I wouldn't do this to the cherub.

          It was that...thing inside him.

          That...detestable, abhorrent, vile demon that possessed him.

          Though a part of me wondered, the curious sliver, what could have Victor said that made that thing so angry?

          His breathing was ragged, and slow as he embedded his face into my shoulder. My body hungered to divulge what Helena had told me, to tell him that it wasn't his fault. My mind salivated at the image of him, heaving a relieved sigh and then smiling at me. I couldn't betray the brunette's request—because I didn't know what would happen consequently, or if it would incapacitate him further—yet, I would hate for it to all weigh on his mind.