Gang-over

The loud sound emitted from the car engine left my eardrums tingling as it sped off. I knew instantly that it was a symbol of Claude's bile, and that it was directed towards a smug Mammon—but my poor ears were caught in the crossfire. The raven-haired settled on the idea of ruining Claude's chances with the tan woman, despite the fact that we told him not to. But knowing Mammon, he seldom listened, and so he did it anyway. This initiated an hour of the blond sacrificing his poor larynx just to yell at Mammon. I wasn't used to hearing him speak with such strident tone; it almost served as a reminder of how little I knew about them.

        "He must really hate me huh?"

        I gawked at Mammon as his eyes lingered on the road, whilst the sun threw orange hues at his face, "Obviously! I mean I would too. You completely blew his chances with the girl Mammon."

        "Oh come on, don't be like that angel. It was funny." The raven-haired let his hand rest on my shoulder, pushing it softly to indicate that we were going into the building. His hands were pale yet soft-looking, with only a few veins visible.

        I wondered if these soft hands he was touching me with, ever had blood on them.

       "Yeah for you it was but for me it wasn't," I cried, "do you think I liked sitting in a car with Claude screaming for an hour?"

        "Do you think I liked sitting in a car with him screaming his ass off either?" The sound of the stairs creaking substituted as an answer for me. "And plus, Sorra would have done so much worse."

         "How?"

         He simply shrugged his broad shoulders, "She just would, that's how she is."

         "I swear you always try and deflect blame."

The sound of laughter infiltrated my ears before it was converted into consistent breathing. And there it came. A physical silence around me, but no mental silence in my head. Something was browbeating me to ask him about the gang already, to get answers, and then lecture him—like I was originally here to do. But I didn't want to ruin this; I didn't want to ruin what we had, even though it was just a whit of what we could have had. I still didn't know Mammon that well, and I wasn't sure how his mind would dissolve it—I couldn't have him disappear for another few days, like he did the last time.

I shut my eyes, taking in a meager breath before opening them.

"Angel," Mammon husked, turning his head towards me. I could hear the contents in his bag shuffling around. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You're not mad at me cause of Claude screaming, right?"

A chuckle slipped from my mouth. "No, I'm over that."

"If it helps, it's not like they're gonna' get together anyways.

"How do you know?"

"Claude's goin' away to Oslo remember? I'm pretty sure it's because he's meeting his future wife."

"What?"

"Yeah his parents are crazy rich, own like some tech company," he added, putting more drops of absurdity on what he was saying.

I didn't understand. If his parents had really owned some technology company—as Mammon said—why had he chosen to be in a gang? He didn't receive pleasure from doing those heathenish crimes...did he?

"Forget that. D'you have fun today?"

       "Yeah...I did." It would have been even better if my mind hadn't been vexed by the conversation the entire day. "Did you?"