Stream of epiphanies

Nettles jagged my ankles as I stood on the unkempt grass, staring at a certain raven-haired slouched over the flowing stream. I knew Mammon would be here and had no qualms about that, but rather on his reaction to me coming here. Though, Mammon seemed to be unaware of my presence with the way he kept his eyes on what, appeared to be a flower. What could be so interesting about a flower? Sure, they were fragrant, but their only purpose was to stay in a fixed place and look pretty.

         I began strolling over to Mammon; who was bending the stem of the red flower that he probably found along the way, since there were no others like that in sight—only small white ones. Was it a dahlia? No, it looked more like a rose. I pressed my tongue against the inside of my cheek as I tried figuring out what type of flower it was. It could be a carnation but then again, I wasn't sure. God, if Kallista—and my mother—knew that I was struggling, they would have a field day with me. "That's a carnation, isn't it?"

"'Don't know. Just picked it up on the way here."

"Oh," I mumbled quietly as I sat down on the ground. The two can have a field day with him as well.

He twirled the garish flower between his fingers, making the delicate petals sway ever so slightly, "How was your date?"

"It wasn't a date. It was just a meet up," I answered calmly as I brushed the dirt off of my palms.

"Oh yeah? Then why'd that shithead say it was?"

I veered my head at him incredulously, "Just how much of the conversation did you hear?"

"Not a lot, and I couldn' care less."

"It sounds like you're jealous, you know," I joked, making my best effort to eradicate this tension. I couldn't dismantle his temper in this state.

His mouth fell open slightly. "Wel-"

"I'm just joking! Relax."

         Relief washed over Mammon's face, softening his expression before he turned his head away from me. I flushed a beet red. He couldn't really be jealous...right? I mean, he had no reason to. The enmity between the two was evident to anyone, but it wasn't his place to be jealous or angry about me hanging out with my best friend. However, it could just be that talking to Ezekiel left a sour taste in his mouth, but he was still jealous—or angry—nonetheless.

         I cleared my throat, hoping that it would somehow jolt Mammon out of his trance and talk to me because quite frankly, this silence was draining the life out of me. I was piqued by his advent at the café, yes, but I wanted to talk it out.

"Why are you here?" Mammon asked, finally lifting the strained silence, yet his tone a lot more belligerent this time. I guess it was better than nothing.

"Oh- um, I wanted to check up on you."

"Why? Thought me leaving would let you two enjoy your little date."

"Shut up about that. I came here to make sure you were okay." The raven-haired gave me a oblique glance, "and to find out why you decided to follow me."

Mammon grunted as he twisted the flower's own stem, "You're not gonna' let that go, huh?"

I shook my head. I was sure he wouldn't either, had our roles been reversed.

"I wanted to see if your lonely ass really got a date. You wouldn' tell me so-"

"So you resorted to following me?"