Thorns & thoughts

His partner grinned, kissing him on the forehead, lips softer than the pillow they laid on. "You're the strongest person I know."

Mammon sucked in air as he was tossed to the pied marble, palms shooting in front. Tepid water from his body plashed on the floor. He peered at the fuzzy statue. How was he still alive? His chest heaved, like each cigarette he had smoked returned to maltreat him. He could see red holes bestrewn on his arm in his peripheral. The skin looked spooned out.

"They'll heal eventually, I had no other choice but to pull them out," a voice too haughty to not know imparted.

The raven-haired aimed a glance at his face before grumbling, "Why did you save me?"

"I owe it to you for talking to my brother." The albino stuffed his hands in his pockets.

Mammon clambered to a pillar, slighting the leather shoes to his left as he slouched. His hand squeezed his chest whilst he gasped. "Damn, you're such a- thorn."

He chuckled. "Thorn?"

"I can't say what I wanna' say."

"A thorn it is." Ezekiel squatted down, settling himself upon the entrance. "What do you wish to do about Kallista? I can have her sent for trial immediately-"

"Leave it." He compressed a palm to the base of his pounding head. "That...was the last punishment I needed."

"I see...but regardless I will look into it."

The albino mused the cottony clouds leaving sparse countries of sapphire. Light outlined the curved edges of fluffy white.

"You aren't the only God is punishing."

Mammon glimpsed the side of his face. "What's up with your brother?"

"The King is sending him to Earth...as a human."

"So I figured...," he muttered. "He'll change, give 'im time."

A fairy swirled a ribbon of calm silence around them whilst he gazed at the brunet. A perpetual smile-maybe he was happy to see them getting along. In the corner of his eye, the raven-haired could see golden eyes shine before a satisfying pop. Though, before he could turn, Ezekiel shoved a wine glass in his hand and began to pour the dark green bottle. Large waves of the maroon liquid clashed; if it kept on, the thin glass it stood on would shatter.

"In wine, there is truth...and less to mourn. Drink up."

Mammon swallowed a swig, tasting first a fruity sweetness and then bitterness. "Not bad..."

"Straight from the wine river, and that's what you say?" He drank some from his glass.

"'Prefer beer."

The cherub laughed. "Fit for a brute like you."

He chuckled, sighing with relief. Pricking numbness was leaving his legs. "I wan'ed to thank you.

"Why?"

"You've done a lot for Luka...and me. You told me where Zalgiur was, you sealed Lucifer...you told me where Luka was bein' held. You're the reason...we got back together."

"It's what a fool does," Ezekiel responded stoically, bringing the glass again to his lips. "I still don't like you very much. You don't deserve someone like Luka."

The raven-haired nodded.

"But, I'm glad he met you."

"Everyone says somethin' like that." The raven-haired clicked his tongue. "Where are you keeping his...body?"

"There's a morgue, at the top floor of my building. You can see him whenever you like..."

"Lucifer has his core..." Mammon wobbled the glass slightly. "What can he do with it?"

"The core...is like a battery. You can take it out, and put it in another device...or in this case another body."

Confusion emerged as wrinkles between his brows. "And it'll work normal?"

"The core will fight it, and eventually disconnect from the body so Lucifer will have to find a new one."

"He'll want his body next..."

"Like he can have it." Ezekiel stared angrily at the red wine. Images of a bleeding chest permeated his mind and he forced his eyes shut.

"I've been thinkin' about it for awhile." The raven-haired put the rim on his bottom lip. He would never voice it to anyone, but the cherub somehow swayed his mouth. "I wanna' get Luka back..."

The four-pointed star in his eyes flared, though returned. "How do you plan to do that?"

Damn it. He knew he shouldn't have mentioned it.

"I can't sit around not trying. I know Hell. All the weird shortcuts, even...where the castle is."

The albino laughed, fixating his eyes another time on the sky as he sipped whilst Mammon stared addled. "You know, I was waiting for you to come to me with this."

He snorted, amused. "So you've be'n thinking the same..."

"Lucifer...is my uncle, and older brother of the King."

"You mean...Michael?"

Ezekiel answered with his head. "Before my brother's hearing, we spoke about what happened that day."

The raven-haired altered, almost readying himself. "And?"

He finished the remaining pure wine heatedly. "The King didn't alert any of the other archangels when it was happening. And, when I confronted him, he said he couldn't- risk another war."

Bulbs were flickering in his head. He planted the glass down as Ezekiel spilled more in his cup, his rolled up sleeves straining as if seeking to get away. "So...he planned this?"

The albino tossed him a knowing look.

He scoffed, swiping his tongue over the preserved sharpness of his canine. "But, why? I don't get why he helped him."

"I don't either. War isn't plausible, Lucifer will never manage to reign," the cherub said to his reflection in the wine. "We need to think of a plan."

Earlier had Mammon conceived a plan, but he spent so long thinking of a worthwhile result, he wasn't sure how it would pan out. Nevertheless, the raven-haired plighted himself that it would work out, that he would burn himself with hot wax to reach the sun.

"I'm gonna' become a guardian angel."

"That isn't a good idea at all. You could die, Mammon."

"God didn't let me die in that pool for a reason."

Ezekiel frowned, "You're willing to throw away your life for this?"

Messily inked letters squashed between moulded legs rustled for a reply. Mammon realised, he would rip out every feather of his wings, just so Luka could write in that notebook a second time.

"I wanna' do something good. I wanna' give back the same way...Luka gave to me," he avowed before zeroing in on the sceptical cherub. "Can you make it happen?"