Sugar, spice & everything sandy

"Dante! Hurry the fuck up," Nikolai yelled at the closed door, as if it was him.

        I winced at his tone of voice. He had been quiet this whole time, so hearing him yell out of nowhere startled me. But nonetheless, I was thankful he did. Mammon was taking an inhumanely long time in the shower, and I couldn't bear it. It wasn't because I was eager to go to the beach, like an unknowing child, but rather, I couldn't manipulate the awkwardness between Nikolai and I. Claude wasn't here to numb it either—he did say he was driving, so I supposed that he was in the car, waiting.

        The sound of a door opening broke through the room before Mammon ambled out, leaving the door agape for the smell of his menthol body wash to come out. He was clad with all things denim—besides his chalk white shirt. He looked...nice.

        "Took you long enough."

        "Shut up, you're lucky we're even going," Mammon quipped as he grabbed the navy bag perched on top of the pewter couch.

         Nikolai walked out of the stuffy apartment and I followed right after. I had almost forgotten how we had to act like this, like we hated each other; even when it couldn't be further from the truth.

        Mammon fumbled with the cluster of keys in his hand before placing, rather driving one into the keyhole.

        "Nikolai!" A voice exclaimed. All three of us poked our heads in the direction of the voice. It was a petite woman. She was leaning on her door frame, a small cardboard box sitting at the bend of her waist as she waved at the brunet. Loose auburn curls fell over the straps of her purple satin nightgown. I didn't know how she managed to spot him when Mammon and I were unintentionally covering him. But regardless, a rubescent Nikolai waved back at her just as the two began their journey down the stairs.

        "So...you're fucking with my neighbor, huh Nick?"

        He sure had a way with words, didn't he?

       "Shut up," Nikolai answered, even redder this time, almost like he had been dipped in red paint. Mammon began laughing as I followed behind them, listening.

       "What was her name again? Layla?"

       "No, it's Leah."

       "Leah," the raven-haired muttered. "You should ask her out."

      "What? Fuck no! I don't even think s-she likes me like that."

     "Oh trust me she does. She's always asking me about your ass, it's obvious she likes you," Mammon reassured, patting his shoulder blade gleefully.

       "S-seriously?"

        In that exact moment, I heard not Nikolai, but my younger brother. They were both so alike—how they both stuttered and flushed a sanguine when their crush was mentioned.

         "Seriously. I mean what d'ya have to lose? The worst thing she could say is no."

         "Maybe you're right but what if-"

         "Shut up with that 'what if' bullshit. You've been crushing on her for months-" Nikolai pursed his lips at Mammon as he made a sharp shushing sound.

         "You've been crushing on her for months, so just take the risk. Sorra's in a relationship, Vogel's in a relationship, I'm in a relationshi-"

         Our eyes widened in unison at his slip-up.

        "You're in a...what?!"

        "I'm-"