0.0

0.0

as the final words poured out of the professor's mouth, the sound of bags zipping and low chatter from the students followed

with a sigh of relief, gwendolyn powered off her ipad and stuffed her books into her bag. it had been another long day of classes in college, and yet her day still wasn't over.

trailing behind the line of students trying to leave the classroom, gwen listened in to their conversation wordlessly.

"i think we should all go out this friday!" one of the favored students spoke suddenly. the students around them roared with approval and applause.

"sure," one of them agreed. "where should we go?" a pile of ideas emerged along with a mix of laughs and giggles.

finally, they all settled on going out to eat. one of the students turned towards gwen and grinned. "hey, we've got room for one more person in my car, d'ya wanna come?"

shocked, gwen pulled her sleeve over her hand."oh! uh, thank you for the offer, but i can't. i'm working tonight." noticing the students that surveyed her, she left the room, muttering another "sorry," beneath her breath.

once she was out of sight, she shoved her airpod back into her ear. i don't think i'd hang out with them anyways. she thought.

having left the college campus and the embarrassing situation, she checked her phone again. 6:30. ten minutes for her to get to her shift before she checked in late. with another sigh, she speed-walked to work.

it was like that every day for gwendolyn, getting out of school around 6:30, or even later if the professor was excessively talking during the lecture. either way, it resulted in her getting to work late almost every day. the pay was as good as it could get for a college student like her—minimum wage with a bit of overtime.

sure, it stressed gwen out, but she hated the idea of relying on her parents for all that they had done for her. with her studies and work, she kept herself busy as best she could.