0.4

0.4

when karla opened the door, gwendolyn had no clue what to expect

when karla opened the door, gwendolyn had no clue what to expect. it wasn't every day that she would find herself in an odd situation like this.

meeting her eyes was a tall daybed window, with cushions sitting on the small surface. some empty hospital beds, others with people in them— were connected to the long IV stands beside them. as soon as they walked in, all eyes turned towards them.

an older woman dressed in a black dress with her hair framed in a black bob walked up to the two. "good morning, ms. valentin." she motioned her hands towards gwen. "is this the new addition you were talking about?"

karla nodded her head. "i'll let you take it from here, yes?"

as karla left the room, the dark-skin woman turned her gaze towards gwen. "i'm mrs. andrews, the head of this place." ms. andrews reached her hand out for a handshake.

"i'm gwendolyn, but uh- you can call me gwen, i don't mind." smiled gwendolyn, shaking mrs. andrews' hand.

showing gwendolyn the ropes in the infirmary, the older lady walked her around the room. "we usually have pairs around to take certain shifts, so i'll pair you with madeline."

"you called, ma?" a girl with red and black braids popped out from a side room with sharp eyeliner in the corner of her brown eyes with white latex gloves on her hands.

"yes. this is gwendolyn, she'll be working with us now," explained mrs. andrews. "and i told you not to call me that at work." she hissed, grabbing her daughter's ear.

madeline winced."ouch! you're just too serious, mama." she looked back at gwen. "and i love your outfit."

"ah, thank you!"

mrs. andrews cleared her throat and looked at the two girls. "enough pointless chatting. get to work. and madeline, don't distract her."

"alright, mrs. andrews. whatever you say," groaned madeline. "follow me gwendolyn."