Chapter 7: Are You Okay?

Tony's POV

Oh God, what did I just do?!
Y/N's the one person I never thought I'd ever have to see again... I just choked her out and she apologized, this is all too much.
Everyone is staring at the scene confused, however the assassin, the witch, and mr metal arm are all glaring at me.
Natasha's shouting and next thing I know I'm in my suit flying over NYC with no destination in site.

Nat's POV

That twat, such a coward, just flying away.
I felt Y/N's neck in search of a pulse, she's 'okay,' but she's still unconscious.
"Rogers, get Fury on the phone!" I shout

Wanda and I lock eyes briefly, and I immediately scoop Y/N up and take her to my room. I lay her down in my bed, and take a look at her neck. It's slightly bruising, and I'm getting angry all over again. I'm in charge of watching out for her, and I already failed at that.

I left pain meds and water on my bedside table for her and went to check in with Wanda in the kitchen.

She was making the lunch I requested, and she was accompanied by Bucky and Steve.

"Is she okay??" Bucky questions me

"Physically she's going to be fine. She was still passed out when I left. Emotionally though, I doubt it." I respond angrily and with an eye roll to follow.

"She really must've done something bad out there to piss Tony off that badly." Steve tries to rationalize.

All three of us turn and send him a glare that could kill.
He shuffled uncomfortably... "What?"

"Steve! Wanda and I are both ex hydra. She had no fucking choice, and he had no right to do something like this." Bucky all but shouts.

Steve went to speak but I immediately cut him off.

"I'm ex-KGB, should I have you choke me out next Rogers? She, just like us, never had a choice. Not to mention, Tony's got no proof. You just took his word and ran with it with blind loyalty." I seethe

"Well if it's not true why else ..." Steve tries again to rationalize.

"Are you serious Steve? You never treated me like this, you gave me a chance to prove I wasn't what Hydra turned me into. You believed in me, and I can't believe you'd just write her off." Wanda interjects as well.

"It just doesn't make sense." Steve whispers

"Do better Rogers." I growl and walk to Wanda to retrieve the bowls of food.

"You can fill Fury in on everything Rogers." I assert and turn away, heading to my room.

Y/N's POV

I come to in an unfamiliar room, in an immense amount of pain. My throats throbbing, and my heads following suit. I look to the left and see pills and a water bottle. As I attempt to swallow my pills it's a painful struggle. As I go to sit up I can hear shouting downstairs, but I choose to mind my business. Well kind of... I got out of the bed and began to walk around the room to observe the decor. I'm pretty sure by the vibes in here that I am in Natasha's room. As I was looking at something on her shelves her door slams open and me and the item hit the floor.

"Oh, detka, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you." She coos as she placed bowls down on her dresser and drops to my side.

"No, no. I'm sorry." I say, wiping my tears and getting up to leave.

"Woah, slow down. You have no reason to apologize. Sit!"

I sit down as she says to and she gently hands me a bowl as she sits beside me.
We eat in silence until I finally speak.

"How's Tony?" I quietly ask while I look down.
She choked on her food and I immediately began to pat her back.
"Are you okay?" I whisper out

Nat's POV

I scoffed, setting my bowl down and facing her.

"How is Tony? Am I okay? Seriously?" I shout

"Um. Uh. I'm sorry, I'll see you around Nat. Thank you for everything, truly." She replies in a panic, trying to rush out.

I grab her wrist, and turn her to face me.

"No. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout. I just don't get you sometimes is all. You're injured and all you're doing is worrying about others, one of which is the one to hurt you. I'm just so mad, I knew I should've stuck with my first response of no."

"Oh, Nat, this isn't your fault." Y/N said as she reached out to grab my hand and squeezed it.

Her hand in mine was a nice feeling. Then there's the fact that she cares so much about others ...

"Look, I'm okay. Just a sore throat, no worries." Y/N tried to lighten the mood.

So, I decided to reach out and inspect her neck, and as I did so she winced ever so slightly.

"You're not okay, and you don't have to lie to me, or try to make me feel better. As for Tony, well I don't know, nor do I care. He is a twat."

She seemed to chuckle at the nickname I gave her brother.

"Well, regardless of if I'm okay or not, thank you Natasha."

"Don't thank me." I whine

"Why not? You're being very nice to me, I'm grateful." Y/N says with an innocent smile.

I feel so guilty, she's technically my 'assignment', which she knows but she's not even mad at all. She's just accepting my assumed fake kindness and being appreciative. It makes me sick that she's just so okay with any of this.

"Well, because you shouldn't have to thank someone for being nice to you Y/N."

"I guess that's probably true, I'm just not used to any of this is all. Nice isn't something I've really known." She sadly chuckles out.
I instinctually pulled her into a hug at the realization of her words.

"Well, get used to it. You have me in your corner."

"Hey, I'm not sure what Fury told you, or asked of you, but you don't have to worry about me." She replied, but her actions contradict her statement as she deepens the hug.

"One thing you should know about me Y/N/N is I don't just listen to anyone. Not even Fury and definitely not Tony. I do my own research and make my own decisions. Plus, I kind of already went against Fury's wishes for you and I personally regret that. Not because he'll be mad, but because you got hurt. I 'don't know' the history here, but that's not important. Don't fight it, you need at least one person in your corner, let it be me." I let out while instinctively rubbing her back in an attempt to bring her comfort.

"Thank you." She whispers while choking back a sob, trying to pull out of the hug.
I gripped her tighter, trying to create a safe space for her. She then began to lightly sob into my shoulder, and I just continued to rub her back, ignoring the dampening of my shirt.

After awhile the room had become silent, so I looked down to see Y/N had fallen asleep. She was clinging to me, as if she were a toddler in search of comfort after a rough day, so I decided to just continue to hold her. Somehow she managed to still look absolutely beautiful even when she cried. My staring had been interrupted by a light knock, and I whispered to them to come in.

Fury's POV

I walked in ready to yell at Agent Romanoff, prepared to rip her a new one for allowing the altercation. However, I immediately softened at the sight before me. She had been apprehensive about this assignment, and after today I began to doubt the assignment myself. Now though, I'm firm in my belief that I had made the right call. Y/N's safe with her.
"Rogers filled me in. Just let Y/N know I stopped by please." I assert, and receive a sheepish nod in return.