Chapter 39: Never Got the Chance

Nat's POV

We'd made it back to the compound, with a lot of people trying to get in touch, something about,

"Why'd you leave us stranded?"

Boohoo, woah is me, type of shit, couldn't care less at the moment. As if there aren't ships they could borrow back on Wakanda.

As we walk in we're dead set on using the Stark technology to find Thanos, so we can ambush him. Thor, Wanda, and I will make him wish he was never fucking brought into existence .

"Friday, who's here?" I ask, as I enter the building to find we're not alone.

"It appears Mr. Banner ran in with Mr. Stark's unconscious body about an hour ago. He had a penetrating trauma to the abdomen, and Cho is taking care of it now."

Great, Banner's back, and Tony's hurt, my day couldn't get any worse.

Then my heart constricts... Morgan

I pull Wanda's frozen form along with me towards the medbay while making a phone call.

"Natasha? Thank God you're okay, I can't get ahold of Tony, and Y/N's not answering... What's happening?"

At the sound of her name, my heart skips a beat, but quickly stills once more... By the sound of Pepper's tone, it's not frantic enough for Morgan to have faded out..

"Pepper, is Morgan okay?!" I ask anyways, wanting the actual confirmation.

"Yes, she's napping on the couch, cuddling that plushy dog Y/N gave her, she wouldn't calm down after we left earlier until I got it for her. Wait, why wouldn't she be?"

It's almost as if Morgan knew deep down, they've always said kids are insanely intuitive...

"Look, Pepper, I don't know how this even works, but the big bad guy won, and he somehow dusted half of all populations out of existence... Y/N didn't make it..." I explain, my voice breaking in the end, as I hadn't actually said it aloud just yet.

"Tony?" She shakily whispers in question.

"I wasn't with him, it seems his end lost too, and he's in the medbay currently."

"How do we tell her?"

"We don't, not now anyways, all we can do is keep her memory alive until I'm able to fix this, and I promise you I won't stop until it's fixed."

Pepper brokenly hums into the phone, then I bid her farewell, and enter into the medbay.
Tony's hooked up to IV's, while Bruce and Cho are standing by going over his vitals.

Bruce turns in our direction, with a relieved smile on his face, as he makes his way over to pull us into a group hug.

"Don't touch me." I growl, while I see Wanda's hand surround with red mist.

"I'm sorry, truly, I was blinded by a lot..." Bruce solemnly states.

"Well, until you can apologize to Y/N, I choose not to forgive you." I reply, pushing passed him to get to Tony's side.

"Stark! Wake your ass up, we have work to do." I shout, while slapping at his temple with my fingertips.

"Natasha, he's been through a lot." Bruce tries to approach me, but I simply widow bite him, and Wanda lightly tosses him to the side.

"Am I missing something here? I thought you guys were a team?" Cho confusedly murmurs, while lightening Tony's sedation.

"That's hilarious, Cho. He treated Y/N like she was a low class citizen, all in the name of brotherhood and unrequited love. Then went missing for two years while he threw his tantrum, so no, he's more like a glorified extra." I laugh out humorlessly

As Cho exits, Tony starts to come around, looking up at us with his loopy gaze.

"He won?" He croaks out

"Yeah, but not for long if we have anything to do with it." I command.

"How exactly do you plan to defeat him with even less people? That's a suicide mission Romanoff." He scoffs

"He left severely hurt, and no one requires you there with us Tony, just your help to find him is all." I matter of factly state

He reluctantly agrees, promising that when he's able to get up, he'll get to work in finding the mad titan for us to get Y/N back.

Wanda had fallen asleep in a chair in the medbay, so I wound up carrying her out to my car. I drove us the short route back to our apartment, then carried her upstairs.

Once I'd opened the door my heart stopped, taking in the sight before me. The table was decked out, with flowers and perfectly placed decorations. Officially reminded of what my plans for today actually were...

We were meant to spend the day with Morgan making up for her missed birthday, then return home where I'd surprise her with our makeup anniversary since we'd been on the mission for that as well.

The ring in my pressed suit pocket, that I've had since month one, suddenly feels a lot heavier. I finally had the plans in place to ask her to marry me. After our dinner, I was going to drive us to our cliff look out, then I was going to drop to one knee.

Now, all I have are these unfinished plans, and I'll be damned if I'm going to just take it sitting down. I'll fight tooth and nail to get the chance to hold her in my arms again, to tell her that I love her, and to finally make her into a Romanoff.

————————————————

914 Words

Short, angsty, and kinda bittersweet 🥺

❤️‍🩹Kaitlyn🤪