Chapter 24: Home?

Nat's POV

Y/N's being released today after two weeks in SHIELD's medical wing. After two days in the bed she tried to get up, but Fury ordered her to remain. I stayed with her for 95% of her stay to help prevent her growing restlessness.

~~~

"Natty! I'm bored, I will literally make myself invisible and sneak out of here if you guys keep me locked up any longer." Y/N whines, jutting out her lip to pout at me, knowing it's becoming a weakness for me.

"Y/N/N, what am I meant to do hmm?"

"Two words." She says, with a mischievous glint in her eyes, and I know she means trouble.

"Go on." I reluctantly say.

"Wheelchair race." She says with a wicked smirk.

"Oh no... Hill and Fury will kill us."

"Perhaps. That is only if they find out... Aren't you like a super spy?"

"Well, yeah, but trust me. They'll just know."

"Listen, you have five minutes to come up with a plan. If not, we're playing hide and seek, and I always win." She deadpans

——

"3, 2, 1... Go!" Y/N whisper shouts, as we find ourselves rolling down the empty medical wings halls.

I had been in the lead for most of the race, but Y/N had apparently been holding out on me. As we were nearing the end of the race, she not only used her super strength to speed passed me, but she threw a banana peel in front of my wheel, causing me to spin out.

I was furious, but when I looked up from the ground to see her in hysterics, I couldn't bite back my own laughter.

"Oh my god, Natty! You should've seen your face." She laughs out, reaching her hand out for me to pull me up.

"This wasn't Mario Kart Y/N/N.. I never should've introduced you to that game." I grumble, trying to play it off like I'm mad.

"You're the one who said I needed to be up to date on pop culture." She giggles, then kisses my nose gently, before breaking out into another fit of laughter.

"Hey, it's not funny... That hurt." I whine.

"Yeah, maybe your precious ego, but I know damn well that tiny spin out didn't harm you."

Before I could reply, I heard loud footsteps, and Y/N and I locked eyes, audibly gulping.

"Quick! Sneak back to the room, and I'll clean up the evidence." I whisper, completely aware that Fury's been rather grumpy lately.

"Romanoff! Where's Y/N? She wasn't in her room, and since she's not with you that can only mean trouble." Fury says, as he approaches the freshly manipulated scene. I had shoved the wretched banana peel into my jacket, and lined the chairs up on the wall as if they belonged there.

"She should be there sir, I just left her to get a quick snack, and stretch out my legs. No need to worry, I'll find her." I stay, remaining calm like my years of training prepared me for.

Not that I ever thought I'd use it to cover up such a silly thing like a wheelchair race.

He quirked his eyebrow, and nodded as if he was content with what I had said. As he turned to leave, I quietly sighed to myself at the dodged bullet. Then he stopped after only a few steps to speak once more.