Under the Mistletoe

Early Christmas

Being in social gatherings was never something Keith enjoyed. He despised it, actually. More than anything. But at the Christmas gathering in Shiro's home, with Lance there, it was....

Decent.

Lance adored these kind of things. Cake, a turkey, presents, sweaters, presents, Santa, presents...and mistletoe. Lance's goal this Christmas was to get a certain mullet with him under a mistletoe and steal a kiss. He'd make sure to get one tonight. Pidge helped him out, hiding in the vents and secretly putting a mistletoe. Pidge had to buy it though since Lance accidentally got a holly instead. If you watched Lance at the party, usually he'd migrate to any woman or man there but today he was staying next to the Christmas tree and buffet table and standing right next to the mistletoe talking to Pidge and Hunk. His plan was to get Keith's attention to come over, slide into the spot while his friends left and briefly mention that there was a mistletoe over them. He'd kiss him and that was that. Perfect, flawless. 

"Lance, you're making it obvious." Pidge said, crossing their arms. Lance whisper-yelled at them, not making eye contact with her,"How can I? He's fucking perfect!" Keith was standing across the room, silent and handsome. He wore a black jacket over his red turtleneck and swirled an un-touched glass of cider in his hands, covered in leather finger-less gloves. Lance swooned and sighed dreamily. Hunk chuckled at his best friend,"Lance, they're right. Your head over heels." Lance whispered, more to himself than anything,"Of course I am. It's Keith." Allura came over in a stunning pink dress with snowflakes dangling from her ears,"Lance, when do we put the plan in session?" Lance  shrugged,"N-Now, I suppose?" Lance brushed back his hair and fiddled with his hands, something he always did when he was nervous. Hunk was a loud loving person,"Keith! Over here!!" Keith's head perked up and relief flooded his features. He walked over and Hunk patted him on the back,"Keith! How have you been coping tonight?" Keith shrugged,"Could be better." Pidge snorted,"It is now! You're with us!" Keith laughed and glanced over at Lance."Yeah. That's right."  Lance coughed slightly,"Yup." 

Allura, who had moved back to her spot in the opposite end of the room, motioned Pidge. Pidge pointed to her,"Oh Hunk, Allura's calling us." While Keith was distracted, Lance moved under the mistletoe and breathed in and out, heart racing. They left and it was just the two of them. Keith was their distance and walked closer, not realizing he was under the mistletoe too. Lance squirmed delightfully  in silence. "It's a nice party isn't it?" Lance nodded,"It is." They made slight conversation. Pidge was silently glaring at him, why was he taking so long? Lance chuckled at something Keith said and threw his head back, glancing at the ceiling, the green mistletoe practically glowing in his eyes. "O-Oh." Keith raised an eyebrow and looked at the ceiling. His expression didn't change.

Lance's blush deepened," We're under a mistletoe. What a coincidence." He smiled and tried to hide his shaking. Keith stared at it,"Yeah.." He glanced over to the other side of the room, Lance confused. He stared at him and took the tiniest step closer. Pidge was mouthing words to him and Hunk was cheerfully squealing,"K-I-S-S H-I M" 

"Oh Shiro's calling me. See ya." And Keith left him alone. Lance felt the wind get knocked out of him. Pidge and Hunk ran over to him. Hunk frowned,"Buddy.." Lance laughed,"Guys, don't be so upset. It's simple. He didn't want to kiss me." Pidge shook their head,"No, I don't think it was that. I knew we should've told Shiro the plan, because he really was calling for Keith." Lance sighed in disappointment, but felt a little bit better. He still had a chance.

Meanwhile, Shiro was talking to Keith frantically,"Keith, did you have any idea what they were trying to do?" Keith tilted his head in confusion,"What do you mean?" Shiro sighed. Keith was way too innocent for this. He didn't want to interrupt Lance's advance, but Keith just wasn't understanding. He would've been lost. Shiro rubbed his temple,"Keith, do you know what a mistletoe is?" 

Keith blinked at him.

" A plant..?"

Shiro groaned.

"During Christmas, when two people are under a mistletoe they have to kiss." Keith continued to stare,"And..?" Shiro sharply inhaled,"You and Lance were under the mistletoe, so Lance was expecting..." He motioned his hands like the answer was obvious. Keith took a few seconds till his cheeks inflamed and his hair stood on end and his mouth dropped open,"Oh..OH." Shiro sighed,"There it is."

Keith started to go crazy, ranting to Shiro why he didn't explain that sooner. What was killing him the most was that he had a chance to kiss his crush but didn't take it. He hated that. A lot.

Lance was being comforted by Hunk and Pidge. Keith stared at them and was determined to make things right. He walked over to them again, and acted like nothing happened. Lance was smiling, but Keith could tell he was slightly embarrassed by the way he would bite his lip and play with his hands. He cleared his throat,"Oh, Pidge, Hunk. I think Shiro's wants to talk to you." Keith made his way to the buffet table, standing under the mistletoe again. Lance was looking off at the distance. Keith pretended to grab something from the buffet but didn't. "Oh Lance?" He said. Lance looked up and walked underneath the mistletoe to him. "Y-Yeah?" They continued to talk, small words. But every now and then, Keith would discreetly compliment him that only Lance would notice. He loved the way his eyes brightened and his cheeks blossomed. Lance forgot all about the plant that was hovering over them. 

Their friends watched them closely and Pidge realized what Keith was doing after Shiro explained the situation. They got closer to them, standing only a few feet away, but they both didn't notice. They were lost in a different world, their world. Allura fake-gasped,"Oh my, Lance! Keith! You're under the mistletoe." Her covered her mouth with her hand, hiding her smirk. Lance looked up and flinched a bit. "Oh." He looked at Keith and shuddered while talking,"W-We don't have-"

Keith shrugged,"You're right. Might as well." He looked back at Lance, and before he could protest or say anything Keith hooked a finger under his chin and pressed his lips softly to Lance's. The talking of the other guests and squealing of his friends suddenly didn't mean anything to Lance. He kissed him back, grabbing his forearm and clutching it as he kissed harder. They broke apart after the short chaste kiss. Even after that they were panting hard. Allura and Hunk was holding hands and jumping while squealing. Pidge was silently gagging. Shiro was being a proud space dad. They stared at each other and smiled slightly and shyly.

The party then came to an end. Lance was putting on his navy blue jacket over his light blue collar shirt. Hunk twirled his car keys around his finger,"You've gotta ride?" Lance shook his head,"No, my house is a few blocks down from here. I'm just gonna walk."

"Can I join you?" Said a deep, husky voice. Lance felt his face redden deeply before turning to see who it was. Keith. Lance smiled at him,"Sure."

When they left the party it was late, probably almost midnight. They exchanged a few words on the way, but most of the walk was a small silence. You couldn't tell if the atmosphere was awkward or anything. They walked up the small steps of the pathway to the small blue house. Lance placed his hand on the door knob and looked back."I'll see you later, okay?" Keith nodded, silent and watching him. Lance looked back and hesitated a second. Two seconds. Three seconds.

"Lance." It was small, barely a whisper. But it was enough for Lance to look back and see Keith, his eyebrows furrowed and the tip of his nose a light pink from the cold. The small visible puff from his breath showed when he said it again. "Lance."

Lance turned around and cupped his cheeks, kissing him harshly. He breathed against his lips, hot and steamy.Keith opened his mouth and kissed back, the cold air nothing against his burning cheeks and the warmth of Lance and everything about him. His lips, his breath, his tongue, the small groans from his throat when Keith gripped him tightly. They parted, nothing like the last time when the kiss was small and chaste. They panted harder and kissed like that again and again and again.

The atmosphere around them was hot and loving. This time, when their mouths left each other, Lance's head dropped to Keith's shoulder and gripped his arms. Keith's arms tightened around him. 

They went into the house, and stayed up till one in the morning, sipping hot chocolate and basking in the warmth of each other.