Cheeseburgers

Keith didn't know what to make of this. "Uhm. Lance?" Lance continued to stare intensely at Keith with his big blue eyes,"Yeah?" Keith coughed and tried to focus more on his book and slumped a little bit lower on his seat on the bench outside school,"Do you need anything?" Lance shook his head, eyes never off Keith,"Nope." Oh no. This was sure to kill him. Keith felt his cheeks grow warmer by the second,"Okay then." After another 5 minutes, Lance finally looked away biting his lip. He popped out his phone and started to scroll through Instagram, unsure of what to do. He glanced multiple times at Keith. Should he leave? Keith always said that he didn't care if he was annoying, he could stay before. That always brought butterflies to his stomach. 

The bell rang but Lance didn't get up. He glanced at Keith one last time before letting out an exaggerated groan and he stretched his arms out,"I'm starving!!" Keith looked down at his watch,"It's about an hour till lunch." Lance groaned again,"I didn't have breakfast." Liar. He always made sure to have his spinach, kale, carrot and greek yogurt smoothie before leaving anywhere. It was amazing for his complexion. Keith chuckled,"You can wait one more hour for the cafeteria." Lance glared at him. He really wasn't getting it was he. He pouted,"Do you even know what poison they feed you in there? Oh God, and today's lunch will surely murder everyone who dares go in there." Keith quirked his eyebrow and finally put the fucking book down,"What do they have?" Lance shuddered,"Meatloaf."

Keith hid his smile and rolled his eyes,"Oh noooo." Lance crossed his arms and pouted again,"I'm serious! And you know what they have for dessert? If that even if dessert." Keith sighed and leaned on the bench, propping his cheeks up with his hand,"What?" This was amusing.

"Fricking fruitcake. Those cafeteria ladies are witches, I'm telling you." Keith shrugged,"I can't do anything about it." Lance sighed again,"I would do anything for a hamburger, or a Philly cheese steak or fries or a cheeseburger at that new diner. That place is amazing. Hunk's family owns it." Keith's eyebrows furrowed,"Really?" Lance nodded,"Yeah. But... I wouldn't want to go alone. I never like going alone. Always with my sister or something." His eyes gleamed and he finally blurted out,"Why don't you go with me?"

Keith's cheeks erupted into flames,"What?" Lance continued,"Yeah! That would be great! We could go together!" Keith was being bold to say it but it really sounded like..."Wait, are you trying to ask me out on a-"

"ANYWAYS, You don't HAVE to go, just a FRIENDLY offer. Between friends. Bro. Buddies hanging out. Hahahahahahhahahhahahahahah yeah." Oh my god, he totally was. Keith's cheeks reddened and he smirked.

"Lance-"

"Just friends, ya know? Just friends because we ARE friends-"

"Lance-"

"But I mean you don't need to just wondering if you WANTED to because that would be great, like really awesome-"

"Lance."

"But like, it's just cheeseburgers-"

"Lance."

Lance gulped and nervously turned his flustered face toward Keith,"Yeah?" This was it. The long-awaited answer. His family and friends told him Keith totally liked him back and he should ask him out and he had been trying. Today, somehow, he got the courage. It would be amazing if he said yes. But what if he didn't? What if he thought he was stupid? What if he was just being stupid? What if it was just a prank, because Marco liked pranks and he encouraged him alot so... What will be his answer that Lance dreamed of for the past 4 years? Keith looked nervous.

"Lance.."

Lance breathed in and watched him closely with his big blue eyes, imagining again and again his wonderful answer.

"What the fuck is a cheeseburger?"

That's it. End of the line. Feelings gone. Crush OVER. Never again. How the hell did he not know what a cheeseburger was?!

"You don't know what a cheeseburger is?" He said, incredulously. Keith shook his head," Never heard of it." Lance stared for a moment. Then he started to laugh. He laughed for a while. Keith's cheeks were hot in embarrassment. Lance wiped a fake tear,"Oh my god. You are such an idiot." Keith rolled his eyes and them suddenly Lance's eyes brightened,"I can SHOW YOU. You can finally taste for the first time what a wonderful melting cheesy gooey delight that just warms your mouth. We have to go!" Lance was frantic, arms flying everywhere and then he calmed down and blushed, arms crossing and looking away,"Now we have to go together." The sweetness in his voice warmed Keith to his heart and his heart thundered when he saw Lance's little wistful sweet smile.

"Ok."

~

"Babe, this isn't what it looks like." Keith held up the burning spatula and tried to wipe off the charred apron. Behind him was the kitchen filled with fog and black smoke. Lance stood at the door wearing his blue collar shirt and navy blue dress pants. Lance put his coat on the coat hanger and calmly locked the door. He turned around and crossed his arms as he walked toward Keith. "Let me guess." Keith gulped. "You tried to make dinner." Keith nodded slowly. "When you know you can't cook shit." Keith nodded again. Lance's irritated eyes softened and his lips curled up into a beautiful young boyish soft smile," Just because it's our anniversary?" Keith nodded for the hundredth time. Lance's hand reached up and cupped his cheeks,"You're too cute sometimes." He kissed him softly and Keith resisted to urge to wrap him in his arms because of his sooty body. After a long time, Lance pulled away with a dreamy smile. "I'll clean this up and you change into something romantic because I'm about to sweep you off your feet with my best romantic dinner yet. I figured this would happen so I went to the grocery store for the perfect items." Keith sighed,"That's why you were late." Lance pecked his lips,"Yeah."

Keith got dressed quickly into a red collar shirt and black dress pants. He combed his hair and walked back into the dining room.

It was now it's sparkling marble white, smoke gone and the windows open letting in a cool breeze. Of course, there was a round table with a red table cloth, a vase filled with flourishing roses which filled the air with a sweet scent and rose petals were scattered on the table with fancy silverware and elegant plates. Two wine glasses stood on each side of the table and Lance stood on his side. Keith let out a soft chuckled and Lance walked up,"Hey handsome." He winked because he just could and Keith could finally wrap him in his arms and kiss him passionately. After a long time, Lance pulled away and Keith kissed his jaw and trailed down to his collar bone. A sizzling noise came from the kitchen. Lance's words were breathy,"Darling, I have to go for a sec." Keith came back up and kissed his softly, murmuring against his lips,"What are you making?" Lance laughed and pushed his gently,"A secret. Sit down." He pushed him into the chair and walked into the kitchen. Keith only had to wait a few seconds before Lance came back in a with two plates in his hands. He sat them down on the table and wrapped his arms gently around Keith's neck and rested his chin on his shoulder. "What do you think?" A simple cheeseburger in all it's melty gooeyness. Keith let out a contented chuckled and tilted his head, kissing Lance's temple. "Romantic, for sure." Lance giggled," I know." Keith kissed him again," We should do it every date night." Lance scoffed,"No way, then the romance would be taken out of it and you'll get tired of it. " Keith grinned,"Try me." Lance hummed softly before leaning in and kissing his husband softly, his hand running through black locks as the shimmering sliver wedding band glistened.