Bonus Chapter: Fear of Falling, Hettie's POV

"Come on, you Elder raised brat, you couldn't lift a hammer if I handed it to you, so what makes you think you could join the big kids?" The larger male said, leaning down over me and smirking as I stared up in determination. I heard of the winding roots trail among the other kids and they never seemed to like me, so I wanted to prove myself to be just as strong as they are. So, when Skylar, Matt, and Tehone along with the rest of the crew were taking about going up the winding roots to check out the massive eagle roosting area, I was determined to prove my worth as I approached them and asked to join.

"I may be skinny, Skylar, but I know how to pack a punch, shall I test it on you?" I challenged, clenching and raising a fist. Realistically I knew I was picking a fight I couldn't win, the Elders didn't think it was worth giving me any more combat training than teaching me how to use a bow and arrow. Skylar could beat me up within seconds if he knew I was bluffing.

Surprisingly, he didn't think I was bluffing.

"Fine then, you little mutant, you will be going up the winding roots first... Without the harness." Skylar said, leaning down into my face as I grimaced at his breath. I saw a few of the others look uneasy about Skylar having me go up without a harness, but I have done climbing walls before so I wasn't afraid.

"If that is what it takes to prove myself as just as brave as the rest of you? Then fine, I accept your challenge, Skylar." I said, determined, though I was very nervous but I hid it well. I followed Skylar's crew and froze for a single second when the winding roots came into view. I have only seen them from a distance but they had to be 30 to 40 feet tall up a vertical cliff face, winding and twisting leaving only a few footholds and places to grab.

I stared up at the cliff as we grew closer, realizing just how much of a climb that is as I felt a touch of fear, knowing a fall from that height wouldn't just break bones, it could kill you.

But how else am I going to show others that I am strong enough to go on A Spirit Quest? I squared my shoulders as Skylar turned to me with a smirk, his crew looking a little nervous, but I was determined to prove my worth. I am not some stick in the mud, I will not let others walk over me when I am aiming to do good.

"Go on then, weakling, show us how much of a coward you are." Skylar sneered as I glared at him before looking up at the cliff face as I untied my basket weave I had around my waist for helping collect the meager crops of the year. I already finished my turn around the field and dropped off the corn I collected.

I stepped right up to the cliff face, looking up at the winding roots up to the far up there cliff edge, where I noticed a single Stellar's Sea Eagle was watching me, it's head tilted.

I reached up for the first root, jumping as it crackled ominously under my fingers as I lifted my hand away, curious at the odd texture of the tree's roots.

"Not going to wait around all day, Hettie, are you going to attempt it or are we going to have to tell the Elder Council that their so called 'Last Spirit Dreamer' is nothing more than a coward unfit for fulfilling her quest?" Skylar taunted as I glared at the roots.

I am not a coward.

Reaching up determinedly I grabbed a more sturdy looking root, aiming for the thicker roots as they crackled less under my weight. I pushed myself up the vertical cliff face with my arms and legs, panting heavily, arms shaking faintly, as I looked down to see I was only half way there. The group was down on the ground below, Skylar looked pissed at how quickly I have been climbing this cliff. Well, he shouldn't underestimate me, I do keep in shape for good reason, even if I am skinny.

I looked up, seeing the eagle still watching me with it's intent golden eyes, its making me uncomfortable. Then, the eagle took off the cliff, screeching to the sky as I craned my neck to watch to glide on the eddies out over the hills, awed by the beauty of the creature, as I always am when they take flight.