25. I Hear

Hearing, Mo'at says I need to hear, I am missing hearing. I frowned and decided to try another method.

I stood and walked to the closest of the four trees, placing my hand and them my ear against it, closing my eyes and letting everything fade away....

Boom, Boom. Boom, Boom, Boom. Boom. Boom, Boom.

I blinked my eyes open curiously. There was a sound, like a beat, resonating through the tree, but it was never the same in pitch or loudness of the sound, or the spaces between each set of beats.

Three, one, five, four, one, seven, two...

Wait... this isn't just any beat. I remember Grace saying the trees communicate with each other much like the animals, sending information out along tons of lines... These sounds were different pulses, out along those lines from this tree to the next, to the small plant over there, to the mushroom growing out of the wood of the fallen tree over there and the each blade of grass and moss under my feet.

Oh, by The Great Mother Eagle... this isn't just a network between trees. It is a network between everything! I was suddenly aware that it was even a subtle network to me. The lights, how I could tell where some creatures were in the vicinity if I tried...

It all makes so much more sense now. I share some sort of... connection with the plantlife and, thus, the wildlife. I listened more, pulling my ear away from the tree, straining my hearing.

There's the tree over there, sending off a different set of beats, yet some were in sync with the tree right here, like some were in sync with the bushes and the different plants. The communication was so in sync with eachother, jumping around through every plant and tree in consecutive ways, many beats hovering around my hand on the tree and my feet on the ground with a stronger beat. Communicating amongst each other like...

I gasped and stumbled away, eyes wide. I nearly feel in my shock as I realised the beats were following me, like a presence.

Like a living being.

Oh, I think I just found the biggest and most separating difference between Pandora and Earth. The trees here communicated so well... they became the brain, the neurons of a living being who could see and feel everything through each tree, each blade of grass and each bush and plant on Pandora.

That is the difference between Earth and Pandora. Earth only holds a spirit of the past of nature, The Great Mother Eagle, who doesn't need the plantlife to be it's entire mind, merely she is a presence that can guide and help plant life on Earth, to an extent. 

But this... what did Mo'at call Pandora's higher being? Eywa, All Mother. I see why they call her All Mother now, she is literally the mother of every plant and animal on this planet.

"Oh my days." I breathed, sitting down heavily, the beats I was still able to pick up with my ears, beating like they were trying to tell me something I could not understand. I ran my hand along the grass, able top pick of the faint, minute shivers of the grass responding to the beats.

I need to speak to Mo'at. I think I finally found what she wanted me to hear.

<><><><><><><>

I stood awkwardly against a pillar under the roots, struggling not to jump or twitch my head to the side as the errant beat of the large tree came down and through the roots with a quiet but deep and long boom, definitely louder than those from the trees of the clearing. More it was just creepy to me right now because the beats in this tree reminded me of a heartbeat...

"You ask other to find me, wish to speak with me on matter?" I heard Mo'at say and turned to look at her, sighing in relief.

"I think I heard what you wanted me to hear, now I hear it everywhere." I said, my ear twitching to the nearest root as along beat passed through it with another long deep boom.