64. Grace

I laid out towels and bandages on the table by the computer, put down a bottle of alcohol to cleaning the wound as well as the remaining pain killers. I bit my lip as I looked at how little pain killers I had on hand, angry with myself that I used a lot of it to avoid my own pain.

Very selfish of me.

I laid my blanket on The Link Chamber as well as the pillow before working through the supplies on hand, finding a needle and stitches and well as tweezers with a long tipped end. If it is a bullet, it will have either gone all the way through or I will need to remove it. I set those next to the alcohol so I could sterilize them before searching through what else I have. I frowned in anger at myself as I realized the medication good for slowing blood flow was all used up in the mixed concoction I used myself to slow the Cryosickness. I looked at the red solo cups and the jar in the fridge before pulling out the jar, pouring the contents of the red solo cups into the jar and shaking it before putting it back into the fridge as I took a drink of water, examining my setup.

I took a deep breath as I looked back at the stacked boxes, biting my lip. I would feel happier if I could find some more towels, actual bandages instead of cloth, and some gloves but I will make do. I got to work putting everything to help Grace into a box, as I suspect that Trudy will be picking up the trailer due to the useful supplies stored here and then carrying it off to the other trailer. I packed the box under the computer table with everything safely stored and set about stacking the boxes up once more so they wouldn't fall during air travel.

Then I got dressed fully. For the past few weeks I have been a bit of a slob, just walking around barefoot with only a baggy t-shirt and pants.I quickly pulled on my combat boots, wincing as I forced my stiffened ankle to curve to fit in the boot before sighing in relief, knowing I probably won't take my boots off again. I quickly washed my hair and tied it up in a bun to cover up how clearly unhealthy it is as I washed my face too, changing out my dirty shirt for a new one before looking in the mirror.

I cringed at the sight that greeted me.

I usually bright, open and entirely too expressive eyes looked sunken and dull with exhaustion. Black circles lingered under my eyes like I got punched in the eyes. My cheekbone seemed sharper than before, which made me realize the fact that I have lost entirely too much weight to even remotely look healthy.

I am skin and bones.

My face looked so... alien to me now. What an odd reflection. The first time I gazed upon my Avatar's face in that pond all those months ago, I thought my avatar looked entirely too alien and odd to be me. Now it is my human body that looks alien to me, and my avatar body that I feel like I belong in.

I looked away from the mirror, looking around for something to do, anything to keep working until Trudy returns. Entirely too much as happened in such a short time, so much that could break me to pieces if I start thinking of it now.

Grace needs me to have a clear head to save her life.

Grace.

I closed my eyes tight, fighting off the pain and worry for the woman who, despite her crass way of talking and acting, because my friend and taught me a lot. I can only imagine how she got shot, the others will no doubt tell me the story. I have no doubt Quaritch is involved.

It only made my hatred for the man grow stronger in my anger. So many lives he has taken, and those he has injured.

I was shifting everything around into good places so as to now tip over, my bag of TULTE items stuffed under The Link Chamber, when I heard the beating sound of helicopter blades, making me look up out the window and blink, shaking my head in shock.