13. Push

20 days until the ball...

...

Madeleine's POV
It was a few hours after our weird knight lesson things, and the news was out. Espresso Cookie moved on to the next round of dancing with the commander: practicing.

"Legs straight, chin up, proper feet on three, two, one..." Princess announced. She quietly flipped the music on allowing us to ball dance efficiently. "Starighten you posture, Madeleine. Espresso, keep your chin up!"

I've heard this song nearly a thousand times. Same song they play every year. Somehow this time, it felt so peaceful and relieving. Holding Espresso was so calming to me. Sure, Latté walked in to check up on Espresso to make sure everything was ok, but I didn't want to let him go. He was so so warm. Even when we were on break I hesitated to take my hands off of him. Even then, I still stayed close to him.

Something felt wrong, though.

"That's too long of a break, Knight, may we cut it five minutes?" Espresso asked when we had our first break. Everytime he messed up, he begged Princess to replay the music.

I didn't mind these actions. They were adorable in so many ways. He just seemed to be pushing himself a lot. He suddenly refused to take breaks even when he was panting and sweating, too.

After we were done I went up to him with a smile, "You doing ok? You seemed really tense back there," I ask him.

"Yes yes, everything is under control, I'm perfectly fine." he forced through. It made me frown seeing him like this. He didn't want to drink his water.

I shake my head, "Are you just nervous?"

Espresso grumbled and sighed, "I just want to do my very best. Latté informed me that our parents are coming..."

"That's great! You'll do so so good-"

"No it's..." he covered his face and took deep breaths. I knew if he started crying, I would cry with him and hold him tight. "Nevermind... I'll tell you later," he gestured his head toward Princess and Knight who were talking with Latté about something inaudible.

I nod, "Ok," I whisper. I help him stand as we walk upstairs to my bedroom.

I close the door, joining him on the bed. "So, remember how I said lots of people don't like me and stuff?" he whispered calmly looking at me. I slowly nod,

"They aren't proud of me, is the thing..." he stuttered, "I-I don't want to vent like I did yesterday, but... all you need to know is that I'm here to make them proud. They're never impressed with me so Latté thought..." Espresso chuckled and shook his head, "Nevermind. Just making sure I do my very best for them and you..."

Espresso stood stretching his arms out. I was worried for him. I stood up with him and grabbed his waist from behind. "Don't push yourself too hard..." I whisper in his ear pulling him close, "I want to make sure you take good care of yourself... for me, ok?"

I hear him swallow slowly nodding, "Yes sir- Madeleine... Yes Madeleine..." I blush as I smile. How cute. Calling me sir~

I rubbed his head like a cat, "Good." I smile.

Espresso's POV
I sat in the dark cold room in Madeleine's craft chair. I suddenly hear rustling noises. I look to my left seeing Madeleine turn over with his stuffed animal of me in his arms.

The wind outside blows scaring me slightly. I stand peeking through the curtains. Just a thunderstorm. I sigh and sit back down listening the clock tick. Dammit. I can't sleep again, can I. This is why I'm in the chair.

When we got ready for bed that night, I promised Madeleine I'd join him in bed once I actually got tired, but I felt it not happening.

I had to admit it. I was terrified. I wasn't for sure what the straight reason was for my fear, but I was pretty sure it was my sleep talking last night. I can't control it. What if I spoke Madeleine's name more?!

I groan quietly laying back in the chair. Well, what shall I quietly do, now? I ask myself. Listening to the clock, I carefully open my bag and take out my spell book from home.

Opening it I cut my finger on a page. A small cut. Nothing bad. I was used to it since these pages were as sharp as blades themselves. I flip to my favorite page on my favorite spell. I stare at it. My magic wasn't bad at all, but I was scared if I practiced this late at night I would wake up the whole town.

I groan again. I shut the book and shove it back in the bag. What do I do, NOW?! I sit to think for a moment. Suddenly, it hits me, "Fuck... Work!" I whisper to myself scrambling to get my work stuff out of my bag.

I quietly smack my work binder on the table and flip to the fourth page. The page I had left off on. I stare at the words. My head felt blank. Empty. I take my pencil tapping it a few times. I face the table light closer to the paper and think harder.

Yep. Staying in the commanders room. In a new kingdom. Staying up late. Doing "homework." How fun.