22. Drink Up~

TW// mentions of alcohol and blood

5 days until the ball...

...

Madeleine's POV
I looked over the party list and noticed a familiar name. I sigh and close the guest list book setting it gently back on my table. I look down at the sleep deprived kitten laying on my chest. I wish he was purring. That would be so so adorable.

I smile, "Kitten." I whisper as I pet his head. In his sleep, he smiles and pulls his knees closer to his chest. He was so cute.

Princess walked through the door with a smile. "Hello, Love Doves~" she winked.

"Shut up." I whisper. "Literally... He's sleeping!" I growl nearly barking.

Princess rolled her eyes holding her hand up as if she were under arrest. "Alright Mr. Commander." she muttered, "Vampire wants to see you," she smiled.

I groan, "I just saw him on the guest list..." I whisper looking back at the book. "Why did you invite the most alcoholic cookie in the kingdom? No doubt, he's hungover right now at least." I remind her.

She scoffed, "Don't be so mean, Madeleine!"

"It's true!"

"That's stereotyping!" she shouts back. She sighed and placed a hand on her head, "Look, I'm sure he's drunk right now too, in daylight... He just wanted to meet Espresso is all."

With that, Espresso sat up rubbing his tired little eyes. I smile and take his glasses from the nightstand, "Rise and Shine, starlight~" I whisper.

Espresso groaned and took his glasses, "Who wanted to see me?" he asked. His tired voice was so cute.

Princess chuckled, "I'll let him know you two are on your way." she smiles while shutting the door quietly.

I grasp Espresso's shoulders and pull him close. Our lips were nearly touching. "Espresso," I whisper, "You're my boyfriend today."

Espresso's POV
I widen my eyes and blush hard, "WHA-"

"Please don't ask questions," Madeleine explained, "There's this alcoholic man is insane! We used to be friends before he drank, but since then he's always trying to hook me up with people we went to school with..."

I look away, "So... you want me to be a stand in boyfriend-"

"Just for today, starlight," Madeleine quickly stuttered, "I-I promise! Maybe at the ball too since he'll be there but..."

This was my only chance. I'm actually going to be Madeleine Cookie's boyfriend for a day or two. I smile and nod, "No worries," I sigh hopping off of the bed. I rumage through my clothes with my back turned from Madeleine to hide my smile.

"Oh!" he giggles, "Ok! Wear something nice, then... I'm scared he'll judge us."

Madeleine's POV
I hold Espresso's hand as we walk down the stairs. I already hear Vampires eratic and drunk laughter from the dining hall.

"Sheesh, that guy needs to calm down.." Espresso whispered.

I laugh, "Don't let 'em take a chill pill-"

"HE'LL USE THEM AS DRUGS!" Espresso giggled finishing my sentence.

We stop on the bottom of the steps holding each other laughing our heads off. His happiness made me 20% happier than ever for every one of his laughs.

"Ahh, look who it is~" I hear.

I turn my head and smile, "Vampire.." I smile. As usual, he had a filled wine glass in his hand with that signature stain under his lip. Blood stain.

Vampire walked toward Espresso and looked him up and down, "This is the lucky one, I see?" he seemed surprised. "You got a hot one, Mad." he smirked taking Espresso's hands, "Hot boyfriend, hot hands, hot bod~"

I look at Espresso who seemed genuinely disturbed. Oh no. I didn't want to make him uncomortable like when we met his parents. "Uhm," he muttered with a scared laugh.

I take Espresso's hand from Vampire and gently kiss it, "Yes yes, I am aware," I pull Espresso close to me and smile, rubbing his shoulder, "I love him very... very much..."

FINALLY! I didn't have to keep it in! I could say it aloud infront of him and he wouldn't even mind! It felt so good.

Vampire chuckled and handed us both two wine glasses with wine. "A toast," he smiled, "To an adorable couple~"

We cheer out glasses together and drink. Espresso started to choke on it a bit, but not on the drink. He turned around quickly and coughed into his hands.

I run to him quickly and place a hand on his back. I watch the blood squirt out of his mouth and into his palms. I widen my eyes, "Are you ok, starlight?" I whisper in shock. He hadn't coughed up that much blood before...

He coughed again quickly smiling, "I'm ok," be coughed, "I... can you get me a napkin please?" he asked.

"Yeah, of course..." I nod. I turn around and glance at Vampire's confused expression. I grab a handful of napkins and hold half of them up to his mouth as he coughed harder into them and took the other half to wipe his hands.

I kneal down and wipe his mouth. He looked so tired and sleep deprived, it burned my heart to see him this way. "You alright, bro?" Vampire asked, I answered for him.

"Just chocked on a bit of... juice..." I reply.

Vampire laughed and raised his glass up, "Drink up, villager~" he smiled, "Happens to only the best of us." Espresso chuckled and raised his glass as well as I.

I frown to myself quietly. Pure Vanilla NEEDS to get off of his trip... I think, Only 5 more days but... he needs to come NOW.

I suddenly begin to worry even more, If he doesn't fix starlight's soulstone then it'll crack more and he'll... I widen my eyes, HE'LL DIE-

"Madeleine," Espresso tapped on me, "You're looking tense," he whispered with a smile, "If you're worried about me, don't be. I'm ok..."

I nod, "I'm glad..." I whisper back. I knew deep down he was lying. Liar. You aren't ok. You're hurting, I KNOW you are. Please don't lie, Espresso. I love you...