Part 5 - Losing it and Finding oneself

Anokhi was pacing up and down in her room.

"Nikki ye kya kar diya tune? Aab kya karegi? Tu pagal ho gayi hai kya? Aab unko fon karke bol de. Mana kar de aane se...."

She picked up her mobile and then dropped it on the bed.

"To kya hua? Tu like karti hai unko. Woh bhi karte hai. To problem kya hai?"

"Problem? Problem hi problem hai. Janti kitni hai unko? Agar koi controversy ho gaya tera career shuru hone se pehle hi khatam ho jayega...ye socha hai?"

"Aab aadhi raat ko woh mujhse milne aye to kya controversy ho sakti hai. Yahan mediwale to nhi honge. Kisiko pata bhi nahi chalega...aab jo hai use enjoy kar. Zyaada mat soch..."

"Anokhi?" Reema barged in, "Akele akele kya barbar kiye jaa rahi hai?"

Anokhi jumped at her voice, "K....kuch nahi..kuch bhi to nahi...."

She adjusted her hair and looked down.

Reema looked at her carefully, "Tu adhi raat ko lip gloss aur deo lagake kahan jaane ki tayyari kar rahi hai?"

"Kuch nhi...wo...main..bore ho rahi thi. Socha thoda walk kar loon..."

"Is waqt??" Reema raised her brows, "Anokhi ghadi dekh. 12 bajnewale hai..."

She stared at her best friend's face, "Kuch to baat hai Anokhi. Kya chupa rahi hai mujhse?"

Anokhi looked away, "Kya yaar Reema? Itna questions kyun puchti hai? Main bahar jaa rahi hu. Tu so jana. Main spare keys leke jaa rahi hu."

She darted out without waiting for her to ask more questions.

It was cold outside. She had brought a shawl and she wrapped it around her.

"Abhi bhi 20 min baki hai ek ghante hone mein. Kya karungi main itne tym tak?"

She looked around. Of course, the streets were empty. Sitting down on a bench, she glanced at her mobile screen.

"Should I call him? No, it will sound desparate. Let him call me once he reaches. What uf he doesn't come?"

Anokhi wiped her forehead. She was sweating even in the cold. It was so stupid of her to say something like that.

Her mobile rang. It was so sudden that she almost dropped it. Calming her racing heart, she answered it,

"Hello?"

"Kahan ho?"

"Main....garden mein....."

"Bahar aa jao. Meri car dikhegi tumhe on the other side."

With that, he hung up. Anokhi got up with trembling legs. Why did he sound so cold?

"Nikki bas kar soch pe lagam de. Woh idhar hi hai. Jaake mil le. Baad mein sochna."

He rushed out of the gate and noticed his car. On reaching the spot, she knocked on the glass window. It rolled down and the door flung open. She got inside. Low music was being played on the car radio. It was John Denver. As she got inside, he switched it off.

Turning at her, he smiled, "Hi"

"Hi!" Anokhi replied shyly.

"To, kya keh rahi thi tum phone par?"

Anokhi felt the heat rise to her cheeks. Does she have to say it again?

"Woh.....main....main...."

"It's okay. I heard what you said. I don't intend to make you uncomfortable. But what I want to know is, why? Usdin to itni pareshan ho gayi thi tum. Then why now?"