Part 13 - Going Back To The Roots

Present

Shaurya's phone was ringing.

Look into my eyes
You will see what you mean to me...
Don't tell me, it's not worth trying for...
You know it's true
Everything I do, I do it for you...

"Hello? I'm boarding my flight. Can I call you later?"

The voice on the other side replied,

"She just wanted to know if you had changed your mind."

"I don't change my mind. Tell her I am coming."

"Okay. Have a safe flight."

"Thanks..." He hung up.

12 hours, Shaurya sighed, 12 hours to a new beginning, a new life. An uncertain life. He had never felt so helpless before in his life. He was completely clueless about the future. After taking his seat, he felt good about one thing at least. Anokhi was in the best state, at least he could make one thing right. She was with Aditya, one of the best persons he had come across in his life. They may get married by the end of spring. And then, she will slowly forget her past, with him. Aditya was an understanding guy. He would give her time to settle down. He knew it. He would make her smile always. Something that he could never do.

Sighing he tilted his head backwards, resting it on the headrest, closing his eyes. For the last time, he reminisced his moments with her....

10 months ago

"You are even more anxious than me. Chill. We have done everything in our hands. Now, it's up to our luck and God. Sab theek hoga Shaurya..."

She had started calling him by his name for some time then. However, she was more comfortable in addressing him.as Mr. Saberwal. She respected him a lot to take his name, except in the most intimate moments. In fact, it was his name from her lips that produced a cathartic effect in their makeout sessions.

"Aab tension ho rahi hai to kya karu? Release ke bad kya hoga.. the response... Media cover... Wo log to mere aur mere family k bich jo tension hai uske bare mein bhi puchenge. And I don't feel comfortable with all these Anokhi."

Anokhi knelt in front of him on the carpet. Taking his hands in hers, she placed a kiss on his palms.

"I know... And that's why I am asking you to relax. Please. If you are so worked up, they will guess that something's not right. Put on the mask that you have created for the outside world. Put on a facade. It will save you. And don't worry. I will be with you the entire time."

Shaurya held her hands tightly. He seemed to gather strength from the warmth, "I am sorry Anokhi. It's your first movie release. I should be the one motivating you, supporting you. But see life has played such a game on me. I am.not in a position to motivate myself, let alone others. Such a loser I am..."

He gritted his teeth in frustration. Anokhi cupped his face and made him look into her eyes.

"Sshhhh, don't fret. Main karu ya aap, kya fark padta hai? We work as a unit right? Jab main low feel karti hu, aap to hote hai na mujhe sahara dene ke liye? Aapne to Mrinal ko jail bhi bhej di. Main to bhag aayi thi. To hummein se koi bhi perfect nahi hai Shaurya. Bas ek khushi hai. We are here for each other. And that's all that matters."

Shaurya picked her up in his arms, smothering her face with kisses, as tears flowed freely down his face. Anokhi wiped them and kissed him on the eyes, one by one...

"Nahi, rona nahi hai aapko. Jabtak main hu aapke saath, main aapko kabhi dukhi nahi hone dungi..."

A weeping Shaurya buried his face into her chest. He couldn't control his tears. All his bundled up emotions of 35 years started overflowing, the years of calling out to his mother on silent nights, scared and lonely. That craving for a pair of warm hands enveloping him, protecting him from all the scary, unhappy things in the world... And the feelings of being indebted to his own uncle and aunt for raising him along with their own children, only to try to sell him to the Chopras as some cattle...Every single feeling released itself through those tears that he shed in her embrace. He held her tighter than ever, almost suffocating her. But she didn't move away. Stroking his head lovingly, she cried with him. His uncontrolled sobs pierced her heart, breaking it into pieces.