#6 No One's Looking

[Sophia]

As the day finally ended, I had retreated to my bedroom, Apollo to his. We didn't say anything, but we didn't sleep. Nowhere near tired. I pull my laptop out of my bag, shuffle into my covers and pull up Youtube. Check any notifications for anyone who has recently uploaded. Not much, but that's okay. I'm awake until 11:30. As soon as I check the time and find nothing else to watch, I put away my laptop, close the blinds and go back to my bed. I tried to get as comfortable as possible and sigh lightly as I find the soft spot and my eyes are shut.

I slept.

Well, I tried to sleep.

I kept tossing and turning. Shifting and fidgeting. But I couldn't stay in the same spot for more than three seconds. I tried stretching my arms and legs. It could only help so much.
I'm restless. Eventually, I become desperate. My eyes shift towards the window and I stare at it for a while. I find the guts to get up, pull on a jacket, and zip it tight. I go to the window and open the blinds. I pause for a moment before looking back towards the door. I take a deep breath and climb to the edge of the window. My wings slowly slide out of the slits in my jacket.

I breathe in.
And leap.
My wings shoot out and I was lifted into the air, feeling the cold autumn air on my face and throughout my wings. It made me shiver. I reminded myself not to go out when the winter comes. I'm gonna tell you right now though, going out in the forest at night is extremely dangerous. Apollo and I have made that a rule. But... it's more of a guideline to me, in some cases.
As long as I stay above the trees, then nothing can get me.
Don't tell Apollo.

It was a little cold out here, but it also felt kinda nice. There are no stars, and no moon. It's a cloudy night and the clouds reflect the light that pollutes the night sky. It's not very pleasant when it's like that, but what can you do?
I became lost in my thoughts as I fly through the air. I can only feel cold.
I never go out very far. Usually just out to the tree house and back. Flying in circles up high in the air until I feel satisfied. But tonight, I decided to go even farther. It made my heart rush a little more, but I felt up to it. I told myself I wouldn't be out long, just one long circle around the area. That was until I realized I had made it all the way to the waterfall.
Yeah, the lake just beyond our tree house in the grove also has this cool waterfall on the left side that overlooks almost everything. It's not like a massive waterfall or anything, but the cliffs where it's situated are pretty steep. Neither me or Apollo know how big this area actually is. We've only ever flown to the other side of the lake but never actually walked around near it. But it's here and we live here, and basically claim this whole area as our own little slice of heaven away from hell. That no one seems to know about and I really hope they don't care enough to level this place and turn it into another residential area or anything like that.
This is where we grew up and we just unofficially claimed it as our own territory. It's not just the tree house that is our home.
This whole place is our home.
And if you're asking me, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Plus, we're also pretty close to the beach so that's an added bonus.
Secluded tree house in the middle of the grove with a large lake and a beautiful waterfall that's just a short walk away, that's also close enough to the beach? Who wouldn't want to stay here? Those Do Not Trespass signs that outline the chainlink fences around the outside of the grove? Yeah, that basically means do not trespass into our little unknown sanctuary unless you want to never be heard from again. Because we'll make sure of that.
We live here, we're staying here, and I'd rather die here.
I most likely will because I just told you that coming out here in the middle of the night is extremely dangerous, which is a rule I happen tobreak every now and then, and as soon as I realized I was coming upon the waterfall, I immediately decided to go back but... I found myself slowly dropping altitude. Until I eventually touched down on the cold, rocky surface. The wind blew my hair back. I didn't fold in my wings, I just let them drape behind me as I walked.

It was dark.
I shivered in my jacket.

I should've brought the other one.
I stood there for a brief moment, observing my surroundings. I eventually made my way to the edge and sat down, my legs dangling off the side.

My breathing was quiet and long. It felt nice to be out here for some reason. I felt calm and content. Nowhere near tired at all, neither restless. I guess I could sit out here for a little bit, but then I'm going back in.

Something peers through the darkness, curiously watching.