#101 To Lead Astray

[Sophia]

Heavy feet pounding against the dirt as the Shadovian in front of me gets further and further away from my sights.
"Get back here, I need that!" I shouted, but of course it refused to listen. It turned a corner, maintaining a constant speed, but as I followed it, it seemed even further from me. If that thing could outrun me then there was no way I could catch up to it. My breathing turned heavy and ragging as I started to slow down. My chest burning as a familiar voice called out behind me from a distance.
"Sophie! Sophie, come back!"
I couldn't just give up, everything I have is in that bag! I can't do anything without it! I continued to throw curses at the creature as Apollo called out to me to retreat. His words beginning to fade as I scramble onwards, almost tripping over loose rocks and sticks that covered my path. As I looked on, the Shadovian itself was hardly a figure in front of me. I couldn't hear it running away from me and as I passed another tree, it was gone. A shadow that passed behind the light. When I thought it was truly gone, I slowed down and stopped. My eyes darting in every direction as I tried to catch my breath. The burning sensation went all the way up into my throat. I wanted to scream at it again, but I couldn't make a sound with so much of my stamina depleted. Apollo's voice was also gone.

I stepped forward, looking behind the corners of the trees, off into the distance, hoping it was trying to hide from my view. It couldn't have disappeared, it had to be tricking me. Until I suddenly realized what I had gotten myself into.
Away from the front, away from my friends, separated from anything that could assist me. I was exposed and the worst part... I was vulnerable. Without my satchel, there wasn't anything around me I could use to defend myself.
I slowly stepped in circles, hoping I wasn't about to be ambushed at any moment. And every time I turned, I thought I could see something out of the corner of my eyes. A shadow in the distance. Moving just out of the trees and disappearing just before I could gaze upon it.
Was I being watched?
But more importantly... where the hell am I?
I'm not even sure if I've been to this part of the forest before. At least, I don't recognize it.
"Um........ maybe... maybe I should... go back..?" I muttered to myself.
But as I turned around, a shadow loomed before mine and rose high into the air. A large pillar of black smoke sweeping the area around me. My heart pounding in my chest as I tried to avoid it, not knowing it had surrounded me. An opaque, misty veil of black smoke holding me captive as the Demon itself towered above me, eyeing my every movements. I could only stare in silence.
"I warned you." it spoke in a deep tone, making my very insides quiver.
"I warned you and here you stand before me once again, completely vulnerable and unprepared. Was I not clear? Did the words of my past not get through that head of yours?" it scolded me.
I tried to keep my breathing quiet, but my mouth remained agape as my expression wavered between intimidation and absolute fear.
"After everything you've been through, I thought you'd be ready for this. I expected a fair fight between me and someone so seemingly brave and bold, but I guess I was mistaken! I thought you were smarter... I thought you were smart enough to pick your own battles and fight like a proper warrior!  But here you stand, frightened at your own stupid defeat and completely unprepared to face the consequences! It seems a simple warning wasn't enough to sharpen your instincts!"
My expression of wavering intimidation quickly changed towards anger as it's voice rose before me. Shaking my body, but I refused to let those words cut me. I wanted to shout back and say something witty, but I also knew there was nothing I could say that could spare me another moment to think of a way to escape. Or a way to fight. I knew if I opened my mouth again, it would only secure my death.
I felt a blanket of cold wrapping around my body as a shadowy arm plucked me from the ground and pulled me towards its face. I stifled a yelp and gritted my teeth.
"Where is your mask of bravery now, false warrior!? The only thing left for you to face is a warrior's death!"