#105 Carefree Limping

[Sophia]

I didn't see my blinds glowing from the morning sun where the light crept into my room. I didn't hear Teri get up off the floor, pushing back the blinds and to see that the sun had risen. I didn't hear her as she yawned and stretched, folding the blankets I had given to her nicely as she set them on the corner of my bed. After the day we had, why would I wake up anytime soon?
But I did feel her lightly nudging my shoulder, trying to wake me up. It took me a moment to realize it wasn't because I had to get up for school.
"Sophie..... Sophie? ... Are you still asleep?"
My senses awoke as she continued to nudge me and speak softly to me. I refused to wake, I refused to budge an inch. I wanted to stay on this block of softness and warmth and never get up. Not right now at least.
"Sophie... it's morning already, can you get up please?"
Ugh... how does she just naturally wakes up at this hour? At least she's polite...
As much as I wanted to stay in a temporary coma, I firmly obliged and opened my eyes. But my vision was kinda blurry and I could hardly see her face.
"Hmm?"
"I'm sorry to wake you so early, but I think I need to get back to the tree house. I'm feeling a little dehydrated, do you mind escorting me? I would stay longer, but I'm just not feeling so well right now."
I sat up and rubbed my eyes.
"Nah, it's fine. I don't mind." I said in a monotonous tone even though I tried not to sound like I really wanted to go back to sleep right now.
"Thanks. Do you... want me to meet you downstairs or...?" Teri asked.
"No, it's okay. We can go now. You wanna get the Twins?"
"No, I'm not worried about them. I just need some water."
"Yeah, that's fine. Where are my shoes..?"
I really didn't feel like putting on some different clothes and just went out in my black sweatpants and teal camisole with a random pair of flip-flops. I'm pretty sure shadow creatures wouldn't be up at this time of day.
I walked pretty slowly because of how sore my legs were. Teri felt it too. The both of us trudging along in a funny stance, keeping our eyes open for any movement. (Maybe not me, I could hardly keep my eyes open.)
"You know, I didn't think you'd take me back right away. I thought you'd make me wait until later to head back out." Teri spoke softly. The sound of her voice was suddenly pleasing to hear.
"Nah, it's okay. I mean, if you're feeling like that then I don't mind taking you back right away." I said honestly. My disoriented state speaking for me.
"Do you think we might get attacked going through here?" Teri asked nervously.
"I don't think so. They don't usually come anywhere near the tree house. Usually when they attack us, they leave us alone for a while. It's just sorta off and on, but I think we'll be fine." I explained.
"I guess even shadowy monsters need to take a break once in a while too, huh?"
We walked silently together for a moment more, complaining about our sore muscles. Teri wondered if it was normal for legs to feel like that after something so intense and I just said that we might be putting up with that for a while.

"Which do you like more, standing or swimming?" I asked out of curiosity. Teri looked up for a moment, thinking to herself.
"I'm not sure. Walking around still feels new to me, but I still enjoy floating around in the water. I think it's fun either way. What about you? Swimming, walking or flying? Which do you like most?"
"Oh, definitely flying. Walking is just normal, but I also like swimming because it's sorta like flying but you can't breathe. Flying would have to be my favorite though."
"Yeah, I can see why. It's still a little scary to me, but I think I'll get the hang of it soon."
"Yeah........ actually speaking of which, how did you find me and Apollo yesterday? I know you were fighting off that big creature thing, but how did you find us so quickly?" I wondered.
"Oh, we saw Apollo's fireballs in the distance and we flew just above the shadows and saw it looking for you. The Twins thought of distracting it so I could come get you. Honestly, I didn't think we'd get so far before it caught you. I was afraid it was going to go after me."
I looked down, easily remembering yesterday.
"Yeah... it sounded like it wanted to go after me. It's kinda weird."
"Well, you've lived here the longest so maybe it knows you more. I mean, we know it's watching us, so maybe it's just seen you around more often and waiting for the perfect move.
Yeah, the perfect move to break my legs and rip off my arms.
"Do you think... have we wounded it enough?" Teri asked.
"Hm?" I zoned out heavily for just a moment.
"I mean... that thing finally shows itself for what it really is. Unlike the Shadovians, it was way more resistant to our attacks."
"Well yeah, it just got a better advantage."
"I know, I mean it just seems way stronger than anything we've ever faced. Do you think it'll ever... go away? Like, if we kill it, is it gone for good? It doesn't seem like it had a physical body..."
"Yeah, I thought so too..... I'm not really sure." But I don't think it matters how strong we are. Because we know we can fight it. Especially in a group. We just have to be smarter. Make sure it doesn't get the upper hand on us. Like, if we're just chilling and relaxing somewhere, we need to be ready in case it pops out and attacks us out of nowhere."
Teri pondered my words. I wasn't sure if she understood what I was saying, but I didn't know very much about it either.
That was just my hypothesis.
"I think I see what you mean... but even if we're able to keep fighting it, is it still safe to be out here? This place is our home and if it just keeps chasing us back to the house, then why stay here?"
Teri had a point. I wondered about this in my own head, but I already knew the truth.
"Because... we don't have anywhere else to go. This is the only place we've ever known and we're not really... normal. And if we leave, what if that thing starts attacking innocent people?"
"Ah... yeah, you might be right. And hiding would just make us feel terrible for not doing anything. If we decided to leave, I don't think I could. This is my home too and I'd feel bad if I just abandoned it. So... I guess that means we stay and fight to live another day?"
I sighed and nodded.
"Yeah... until we find some more clues or find some way to kill that thing... I think we're just stuck going in and out until one of us gives up. And I'm certainly not giving up, not anytime soon."
"Heh, as long as you don't give up, I won't either. I'm sure there's something lying around that can give us some answers. To anything hopefully."

Teri suddenly trotted ahead of me as she spotted the tree house in the distance and before she went back to her aquatic room, we both looked around for any sign of danger. All was quiet, and kinda chilly. The sun just barely passing through the trees as it continued to rise, and there was no wind. Teri looked back at me.
"Are you sure it's safe around here?"
"I've never been attacked at or anywhere near the tree house. It's probably the only safe place here, so you should be fine."
"Yeah... okay." Teri nodded and walked over to the pools, carefully climbing in and looking at me one last time.
"I think we can both agree to take it easy for a bit until our strength returns, right?"
"Oh yeah, definitely. When the Twins wake up, I'll let them know where you are. You feel good now?"
"Yeah, much better. I think I just have to keep in mind how much time I spend out of the water. I'll be okay though. I guess I'll see you soon?"
"Yeah, we'll check back often."
"Alright, I'll see you around then."
And with that, she dived beneath the surface and I let her be. I wiped the nice smile off my face and trudged back up the hill where I longed to see my bed. I wanted to go back to sleep, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to since I was already awake. For the moment, I just hope my legs wouldn't give out before I hopped over the fence.