#80 Back in the Mess

[Sophia]

The next week, we started getting more serious. With no threats to be found anywhere near us, we started a new training regime. With basic fighting skills out of the way, we could be more rough with each other. Mostly strength training, building muscles, that sort of thing. Of course, me being the laziest and everyone else completely focused, it was kinda hard to keep my own pace. Or even catch up. I know I can't make up excuses, and I'm not. I'm just not used to this sort of routine. I tend to go at my own pace for these sorts of things. Apollo understands this, but everyone else was sorta pressuring me to try harder. I know they're just excited, but I know my limits.
Today, Apollo was observing the Twins fighting each other and every now and then, he would stop them and point things out. Teri and I were sitting nearby, watching them and looking at each other's weapons. Teri was cleaning the bits of muck and dirt off the ends, and I... was just kinda playing around with mine. I never had to sharpen or clean it once. Probably magic or something. I held the blue blade up to my eyes and tried to look through it. It was more opaque than I thought and there wasn't much to look at through it. Teri looked over to me, wondering what I was doing.
"Uh, Sophie?"
"Hm?" I lowered the blade from my eyes.
"I was just wondering about your sword." Teri pointed at it.
"What about it?"
"How did you get that? I know Apollo doesn't have one, so why are you the only one with a weapon?"
I looked down at my sword, turning it over lightly and letting the light bounce off of it.
"I... don't really know. I've just... had it for as long as I can remember."
"You've just... had it? Like the paintbrush? Where did you get it?"
"I found it in my bag when I was really young, I think. Like I said, I've just sorta had it. I don't really know where it actually came from." I stammered.
I really didn't know the answer. My sword, my paintbrush, and that blue blanket I keep in my room and wear as a cape everyday when I wake up. Those all came from that satchel that I've had. I don't even know about it either. It holds practically anything I can shove into it, no matter what size. I mean really, haven't you ever thought about how I'm able to fit so much stuff into such a tiny bag?
Yeah, me too.
And I don't know either. Well, besides the blanket. That seems to be the only normal thing I have. Probably.

"Can it do anything else?" Teri asked about the sword again.
"Ummm... not really. It's just a regular sword that can slice through pretty much anything."
"Can it really cut through anything?"
"Technically, yeah."
"Can I see?" Teri asked.
"Hmm... okay." I didn't mind a demonstration. I started looking around the area for things I wouldn't mind slicing. I spotted a rock in the corner and tried pushing it closer to the light. I gripped my sword and hovered the blade above the rock. Teri stood up and came closer. With one quick motion, I cut through the rock without any resistance. I pushed the two halves aside as Teri's mouth dropped in awe.
"That's amazing! It really does cut through anything!" Teri took a closer look at the two rocks before shooting up to her feet again.
"Hold on, hold on..." she started looking around for something else and my eyes followed her movements. She picked up a large branch from nearby and brought it over, holding it up for me.
"Try this."
She grasped the end of the stick and held it steady. I shrugged and raised my weapon, slicing the branch evenly as I brought it down. Teri didn't even flinch, but her face lit up with excitement. She dropped the other half of the branch and looked for something else.
"Oh! Here, I know!" Teri walked to three different places and picked up three different rocks.
"Think you can hit these at the same time?"
"I dunno, let's see." I held my sword steady as Teri summoned small discs of water and let the rocks sit on top of them as they hovered in the air. I positioned the blade carefully against the side of the first rock and leveled my stance. Making sure I kept both eyes open and focused on the targets. I swung the sword behind me, and threw it out quickly. I wasn't sure if I missed because I didn't feel any impact. But when I looked down, I saw three different cut stones on the ground. Teri's eyes widened and she dropped the other halves of the rocks.
"That's incredible! Your sword is like pure magic!"
I chuckled, "Yeah, pretty much."

I looked back down at the weapon in my hands. Despite cutting through many different things, there was no sign of scratches, dullness or any sort of mark. It's obviously magic in some way, but it's pretty much as sword-y as any sword could be. 
"Can it cut through this?"
I suddenly whirled around as my sword clashed against Teri's trident. Her eyes locked onto me as I was still processing what was going on. She drew her weapon back and struck me again. I felt lucky enough just to block her incoming attacks. I smiled nervously as we fought each other playfully. Unfortunately, there was no winner. We both yielded at the same time because we got tired.
Teri laughed at herself and looked up at me.
"Hey, how come your sword didn't cut through my weapon?"
I took a moment to catch my breath and poked the tip of my sword into the ground.
"Because... I didn't want it to? I dunno."