#11 The Agility Test

[Sophia]

I'm running out of breath and I'm slowing down. Jumping over hedges and small rocks. I can't gain any more speed. It's gaining on me and I can't avoid them any longer, but even if I stop for a moment, I'll be dead.
You're probably wondering what the hell I'm running from. I'll explain later.

I can only go forward. If I go left or right, it'll head me off and I'll be killed. Suddenly, I tripped on my own feet and I stumble a bit before tumbling down a hill. My whole body was pelted with rocks, earth and sticks. When I finally reached the bottom, my left arm had a big scratch and was beginning to bleed.

I can't go on much longer...

I push myself back up and start running, but I can't run. My legs felt heavy and I needed to catch my breath, but I couldn't stop now. My legs were scratched and bruised and I could hear them gaining on me. Until I see something in the distance. I hear rushing water.
This is it.
I take a deep breath and pick up speed. From behind me, I heard it slide down the hill where I fell.

If I can cross the river then there's no way they can get to me.

I jump over one last stick and then I leap. Just in time before it bites my other leg off. I plant my feet on the other side, but couldn't keep my balance and I start to lean back. I grab onto a nearby tree root that had been sticking out from the river and pull myself forward and climb up onto the ground. They bark and howl at me in defeat. I don't look back, I just keep running, but slower this time as my energy had become depleted. I can hear their voices fade, and by then I know I'm safe. I slow down and stop running and ease into a slow walk.
I stop and look at my arms and legs. Scratched, bruised, no broken bones. Good. Nothing to worry about. They'll heal in no time. I keep walking. I realize I couldn't go back for Apollo just yet.
Well...  guess he'll be okay by himself. I'll go back later.
The important thing to focus on now is to figure out where I am now and how to get out. This whole forest is roofed in so it's impossible to fly out. If I did, I'd scratch my wings and they'd get caught in the branches and I'd either get stuck or fall straight to the ground.

Trust me, I've tried. Not the brightest idea I've had.

I walked for a while until, just to the left of my vision, I spot a clearing. I gasp lightly and head towards it. Finally my chance to get out of here and back home. I break into a jog and as soon as I hit the clearing I am immediately hit with sunlight. I really need to get back, I shouldn't be out this far. The clearing before me was a lot bigger than I anticipated, however. Just open sky and green grass.
No, not a clearing... a field? To my right, I could see the horizon of the ocean. The rest of the area before me was just small, green hills that rose up and down. I couldn't see the other end of the treeline from here.
I unfolded my wings and beat them slowly, lifting myself into the air. As I pulled myself into the sky my eyes spot something.
Just in the distance. A hint of red.
I thought about heading back right then and there, but curiosity drew me toward it.

What is that.....? I'll just take a look and then head back, I'll make it quick.