#93 Unexpected Abilities

[The Twins]

Another day passed and the Twins didn't remember much of the day before, besides the burning pain in their bodies and the coolness of the water on top of their heads which was helpfully provided by Teri, hoping she was able to bring down their temperature. Of course, by the time the day ended, they had to go back up in the tree house to rest. Teri stayed with them as long as possible until she got tired and decided to head back down. At first, they could hardly stay asleep. Their bodies too sore to stay in one position long enough to relax and constantly throwing the blankets on and off each other. Feeling hot and cold but never in-between. When they finally did sleep, they slept for a long time. They were awoken by Teri the next morning.
"Hey... hey, are you feeling any better?"
The Twin blinked, their vision cloudy but could unmistakably recognize the soft voice that was Teri's. They lifted their heads, their hair shaggy and ruffled from a restless nights sleep. They didn't feel as dizzy as yesterday, but they still felt warm.
"Does anything still hurt? Or is it just your heads?" Teri asked.
"I don't really... feel sore." Flyboy mentioned.
"Yeah... I'm still a little warm though." Fleetfoot added.
Teri knelt closer and put a hand against their foreheads. She tilted her head in surprise, noticing that they didn't feel as warm as yesterday.
"That's a good sign, it means your fever is going down. I think..." she trailed off. The Twins looked at her confusedly.
"What?"
Teri looked away from them as she began to think.
"You know what... I think I just remembered something."
"What is it?"
"When I was really young an I got sick, my Mother taught me how to make a special remedy to cool my head. Makes it easier to sleep too. And I felt fine the next day. I bet if I remember how to make it, it might be able to sure you're fever."
"Do you think it'll work?"
"I think it's worth a shot. There's only... one problem though."
"What?"
"... We have to go to the lake. That's where all the ingredients are. And I promised Apollo and Sophia that we wouldn't leave the tree house without them." Teri turned her head away.
"Well, it's only the lake. It's not that far out." Flyboy said.
"Yeah, it's only a quick trip. I think it'll be fine." Fleetfoot added.
"But what if something happens while I'm gone? What if I get attacked before I get a chance to come back?"
"What do you mean you're going? We're coming with you too."
"What? But you're sick, you shouldn't be going with me. You need to rest. Maybe we can get Apollo and Sophia to come with us and-"
"Teri, I think we'll be fine for today. You only need a few simple things to make the medicine. We'll just walk with you and sit by the lake until you come back and then we'll come back here. Besides, it's not like we're going to be attacked everyday. Those monsters need time to rest too."
Teri thought about what they said. On one hand, she'd feel better if the Twins stay put and rest while she went out. Even though she did make a promise to stay put unless either Apollo and Sophia would go with her. They've made their point clear that this place wasn't always entirely safe, even in the day time. And she'd rather not get caught in another ambush.
On the other hand, the Twins were kinda right. Going out in a group would be much safer than going out alone. And the ingredients she needed weren't that hard to find, and there might be a possibility that they might not get attacked. The lake really wasn't that far out, they would just be there and come straight back. No side-routes, no shortcuts.
Teri thought about it a moment longer.

"Well..... I guess it would be... okay. Maybe, just as long as you two stay close. I'll make it quick."
"We'll stay close. It won't take that long, we're sure of it."
"Are you sure you're feeling alright to come with me?"
The Twins nodded. Teri sighed and stood up, looking off into the distance of the trees.
"Okay, let's go then."
They began to walk away from the safe zone and out into the not-well-known. Teri kept a sharp eye out for any suspicious activity while also reminding herself of the correct ingredients she needed. The Twins silently trudged behind her, a little disoriented, but it felt nice to move around a bit and get some more air. When they made it to the edge of the cliff, Teri needed some assistance to get down to the little beach. The Twins tried to carry her down as carefully as possible, but their wings were so big that it was hard to stay straight without their wings constantly bumping and flapping over each other. It made for some unnerving turbulence. When they were able to get over the water, Teri let go and dived into the lake as the Twins tried to break off and crash landed on the beach. Getting used to their new wingspan was going to take some practice.
Teri's bright green head popped out of the water.
"Are you guys okay?" she called from afar.
The Twins groaned and shook their heads, shaking the sand out of their hair.
"We're alright."
"Okay, you two stay right there! I'll be back soon, I won't be long." Teri dived beneath the surface and began searching hoping the Twins would be fine out of her sight for just a few minutes.
The Twins on the other hand stayed above the water, their eyes adjusting to the light as a light breeze carried over. They felt a little dizzy from the landing as something pounded against the backs of their heads, but the warm sand felt nice underneath them.