#38 Sidequest

[Sophia]

I had just closed my eyes for at least a few minutes, until there was a quiet knock on my door. I opened my eyes and looked up, almost nervous about who was knocking on my door so late at night. I heard another knock and I sat up quickly as the door opened just a little bit.
"Sophie?" I heard two voices speak. It was the Twins.
"Yeah?" I answered.
"Can we come in for a second?" they asked. I pulled the blankets off me and sat on the edge of my bed. 
"Yeah." I obliged. The Twins quietly crept inside and closed the door behind them.
"Sorry if we woke you." Fleetfoot apologized.
"We didn't mean to bother you." Flyboy added.
"Is everything okay?" I asked nicely.
The Twins didn't reply, but instead Flyboy held up a small blue flower within the darkness of my room. Glowing weakly. I recognized it as the Moonflower they'd shown me before back in the caves when they had me tied up.
Wait, where'd they even find the rope to tie me up? I suddenly thought for some reason.
"Before you came down in the caves, these Moonflowers used to grow everywhere." Fleetfoot explained.
"But one day we noticed that they were all being destroyed and we couldn't figure out who was doing it. This is the last one we managed to save." Flyboy added. I was confused as to what they were getting at.
"Sophie, we need your help." they said in unison.
"What do you need?" I asked.
"We want to re-grow the Moonflowers." Flyboy said.
"But if we grow them in the caves, they might be destroyed again." Fleetfoot added.
"And we need your help, we need you to protect us while we plant them." they said together.
"You want to do this now?" I asked suddenly.
"Yes, the Moonflower only grows in darkness, and the one we have here is dying." they said. I wasn't sure what to do. I've said to you before that the forest is extremely dangerous at night. If they had told me earlier before it had gotten dark, it would've been less dangerous.
"Please Sophia, we need your help." Flyboy pleaded.
"If we can't do it tonight, it might not live until tomorrow." Fleetfoot insisted. Both their faces held the same pleading expression.

I would've insisted that it was way too dangerous to go out this late, I know by experience. But they felt so desperate for help to re-grow those beautiful flowers... I just couldn't find a way to say no.
"Okay, but remember it's really dangerous out there. I'll protect you, but we have to be quick." I instructed. The Twins smiled at me.
"Just give me a moment to get ready." I said.
"Okay, we'll wait for you outside." they said, and quietly left the room. Closing the door behind them.
I was too tired (and lazy) to put pants on, so I just left my sweat pants on and pulled on a random shirt. I found my bag hanging on my desk chair and quietly shuffled out the back door, hoping not to bother Apollo and quietly crept downstairs and out to the backyard where the Twins were waiting for me.
There were hardly any clouds in the sky and luckily the moonlight was bright enough for us to see.
"Okay, you guys ready?" I asked quietly. The Twins nodded, Flyboy holding the Moonflower close to himself. The Twins followed close behind me as we walked slowly into the forest. It looked completely different than it did in the daytime. It was ominous and cold and even with the moonlight filtering down upon us, you could hardly see anything in clear detail. It was really dark.

I adjusted my jacket to keep me warm and I could tell that the Twins were unnerved about being here at this time. It wasn't long until we got back to the tree house.
"Can the Moonflower survive in daylight?"
"No, any exposure to bright light is really bad for Moonflowers." Fleetfoot said.
"It would die immediately." Flyboy added.
"Oh."
I looked behind me and back in front of me, looking around for any sense of danger.
"But if we were to plant it out here, it would be able to survive if it were underneath a shadow." Flyboy explained.
"It would be able to bloom at night too, so it'd be okay to plant the flower out here." Fleetfoot said.
Okay, then here would be no good. The tree house has an opening up there where the sun shines through. So we'll need to go in a bit farther.
"Okay, follow me. We'll need to go in a little farther." I said. The Twins walked on either side of me, I could tell they were nervous. I lead them away from the tree house and further in to where I thought it was the darkest. Although, the forest provides lots of shades, I had to make sure the Moonflower would be put in shade for all hours of the day. Shadows can move in daylight.