#79 Whispered Secrets

[Sophia]

We kept the events of yesterday a secret to ourselves and promised to not beg me to use the paintbrush for anything unnecessary. We all met back at the tree house the next day, more comfortable than ever with the new decor I made. Teri was able to take some time off from her duties and politely asked Apollo if he could help with training. He was more than happy to help and decided to start with strength training. I watched them from the beanbag chair underneath the tree, slouching away and occasionally looked at my phone.
"Hey, Sophie!" I heard the Twins yell from afar. I put my phone down and looked at them.
"You wanna come with us for a bit?" Flyboy asked.
"We're gonna go check on the Moonflower." Fleetfoot explained. I thought for a moment.
"Hmmm... okay."
I guessed it had been a while since we last checked on it. Hopefully this time we wouldn't get ambushed. I struggled a little bit to get out of the beanbag chair and stand up. I shuffled behind them as we went through the trees. As I walk, I began to space out. And it started with the Memories of the Moonflower itself.

Back in the caves, limited vision and darkness surrounding me. The faint glow of the Moonflower in my palm. I don't remember very much about what the voice sounded like, but I knew it was speaking to me. Guiding me through the tunnels. I looked back at the Twins' heads.
Did they know?
If they were able to tend gardens full of them, did they know that they could do that? Whispering things to them. My curiosity couldn't be contained. I walked closer behind them.
"Hey, uh... about the Moonflower. Do they do anything? Besides glow?" I asked. The Twins glanced at each other and looked back at me.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I mean... do they do anything? Are they special in some way?"
They glanced at each other again and looked back at me, confused.
"What are you talking about?"
I looked away nervously and involuntarily scratched the back of my head.
"Well... back when I was in the caves. Y'know, when I got kidnapped? I found one of those Moonflowers when I was walking around."
"Really?" they questioned.
"Yeah, and I took it with me. But then it started... talking to me." I said that last part quietly.
"What...?"
"Yeah, it was just whispering to me and it was really weird. But the more I kept walking, it was like it was telling me where to go. Like, how to get out." I explained. "Are they... supposed to do that? Like, is that normal?"
The Twins stopped and I got a little worried for a moment. They gave each other a long look, like they were talking to each others minds. I was curious to know what they were thinking, but I was nervous to know the truth. A part of me thought maybe I just imagined the whole flower whispering thing or I was hallucinating or something. Or maybe hearing a flower talk was a bad sign or something like that.
"Did they ever talk to you...?" I asked quietly.
I heard them sigh and quietly approach me.
"When we used to take care of them, sometimes they would say things to us. But we never understood what they were saying." Fleetfoot started.
"They were usually quiet, but when they did speak, it didn't make any sense to us. But when we got older, it was like they were trying to warn us or something." Flyboy said. I gave them a confused look.
"Warn you of what?" I asked.
"I'm thinking about it, and... just a while before the gardens were killed... I think they were trying to warn us about you."
I narrowed my eyebrows and stared at them.
"I don't remember much, but I think they said something like... 'keep to the shadows'... 'the world comes for you'..." Flyboy spoke.
"No, no, I think it was more like... 'you're in more danger here than up above'... 'follow the light and you'll be guided to safety'..." Fleetfoot added.
"Are you sure? I'm not sure that's right."
"That's what I remember... I think."
"So... they did speak to you?" I asked.
"They did. But not all the time. We don't know how, but nothing makes sense when they speak." they said. I began to process this. It was a little difficult to understand, but if they didn't know how it was possible, either then I guess it was another mystery to cross off our list. When we get to it.

When we at the familiar area, we were met with a surprise. The shrub that the little flower was planted in was beginning to grow. Little dark vines creeping up and around the bush, entangling it. We crept closer to get a better look. Some of the vines had little white buds sprouting from them.
"It's growing more flowers. It's re-growing!" the Twins said happily. I admit, I was impressed as well. I honestly wasn't sure if it would live, but it seemed to be doing just fine. Although, as I began to look around, I noticed that there would be some patches where the light would touch it. The shrub itself was the only thing protecting the Moonflower, but not the rest of the buds.
"Uh... there might be some spots where the light can get to it." I pointed out. The Twins stood up and looked around.
"Yeah, you're right. There isn't enough shade. Is there anything you can do?"
I turned my head at looked at the shrub more carefully. A few ideas came to my mind, but I didn't want to go through with them. I know we just got through the whole 'Don't use the power of creation unless absolutely necessary,' but I also knew this was something the Twins really cared about and if it meant that much to them, then maybe my ideas were the best we could use.

"Hold on, I have an idea." I said. I reached into my satchel and pulled out the paintbrush.
"I thought you said you weren't gonna use it?"
"Yeah, but this is important to you. It's okay, I have an idea."
I reached over the shrub and started from one point and started moving down. Going back up and lightly stroking the air in a dark color. I looked at the shape from different angles and adjusted my creation, making sure no light would touch the delicate plant. I found myself stuck at one point and took a step back to observe.
"What is that?" the Twins asked.
"I'm just making an umbrella so it stays in the shade. But I don't know how I'm going to keep it there unless..." I stuck my tongue out playfully and looked at it more closely.
Okay, this is gonna look a little stupid, but it's the best thing I can think of right now.
I started painting something straight and brown. Going straight into the ground and finished the rest of the umbrella, painting rope tied around a wooden pole. When I finished, I checked to make sure it would stay and breathed a sigh of relief.
"What's an umbrella?" the Twins asked.
"It's just something that keeps you out of the sun. Or rain. This should keep the plant out of the sun. Those trees over there will be fine in the morning, but the umbrella will protect them during the sunset."
"It looks perfect."
Well, more like a piece of junk tied to a pole. A little awkward, but at least it works.

"Good to know it's doing well. C'mon, let's head back."
"Okay."
We turned and started walking in the opposite direction.
"Sophia."
"What?"
I quickly turned around to face the sound I heard, but saw nothing. Just the shrub, my weird little creation and the rest of nature. But my eyes gazed upon the Moonflower sitting underneath the shrub. I eyed it carefully, but I heard no other sound besides the Twins feet on the dirt path walking away from me. I turned back around and took another step forward.

"Stay close together, your enemy grows stronger."
"...Hm?"
I turned around again, but the voice remained silent. I recognized it. But this time, it almost felt... louder. I turned my head and stared at the Moonflower again, glancing back at the Twins who didn't notice me stalling behind them. I took a few steps toward the shrub and knelt down.
"What?"
I waited for an answer.

"Young spirit, tread lightly. Shadows are casting themselves onto you. Keep close to your friends." the flower whispered to me.

I listened carefully, trying to understand what it was saying. But as soon as it went silent, my mind took went blank. I decided to go back and catch up with the others. My mind began to busy itself with memories and similar thoughts of what I just heard.