When Princesses Fly

"Oh I hope we're not late!" Sofia exclaimed in excitement as she sat in the carriage. James joked, "We'd already be there if Amber didn't take so long to get ready." Amber defended, "I had to find my derby tiara, that's the best part about the flying derby, everyone dresses up." "The best part about the flying derby is the race. It's my favourite sport in the whole kingdom!" said Sofia. 

                   Freya floated along on her broom. "So you know about flying derbies, yet asked why the royal horses have wings? Doesn't make sense." she said. Amber then asked her father sitting in front of her, "Why is she here again?" "Because Amber it would show loyalty to the royal family." "And because I thought she was lonely and needed some friends." Queen Miranda said. Freya then said, "We're not friends, I still don't really like Amber." "And I don't really like her either." "It's a mutual thing.". Roland laughed, "Well then, why not me mutual together?" both the girls frowned. 

                     "Can we go any faster? I don't want to miss anything." said Sofia happily. "Have a seat in the carriage Freya. Coachman, better take the high road." said Roland. As the carriage flew, James asked, "Why did Freya have to get in Dad? She was flying just fine." "My broom doesn't go that fast.".

                     At the flying derby, the royals took their seats on their thrones and Freya transformed her broom into a floating chair. The race started, and James told Sofia that in Royal Prep they had a tryout race for the derby team the next weekend and they started practicing the next day and that she should come watch. Amber said she was going because of Prince Hugo, the best racer. "Oh, that chump you always swooned over with Princess Clio and- Hildegard." Freya spat out the name. 

                   When the race ended, Amber told Sofia that she should come watch the Royal Prep flying derby practice the next day. With a smile, Sofia said, "Maybe I will." Freya raised her eyebrows at this. The tone of her voice made it sound like she was going to do more than just watch.

                   "Sir when are we going to do more spells?" Freya grumbled, bored. Cedric said, "Why don't you try a new spell in that little book of yours?" "But I've done ALL the spells. THRICE. You're never around anymore since that prissy little princess got that purple amulet. You keep saying it's the key to taking over the kingdom, but we have magic!" "Fine, here's another book of spells and a book of potions." said Cedric, handing Freya the materials. Freya frowned, and went back to her room. She then put the books aside and took out her crystal ball. Might as well do some more crystal gazing, thought Freya.

                    She saw Prince Hugo and Princess Amber greeted each other, Amber saying she was his biggest fan while opening a fan with his picture on it. Freya said to herself, "Well now that's just disturbing.". After some small talk and Hugo boasting a bit he left for the practice as Sofia picked up pace in walking. Everyone was confused when Sofia went in the opposite direction of the bleachers. "Sofia, the bleachers are this way. Sofia?" Amber pointed out. "Good morning Sir Gilliam." "Oh um hello Princess the bleachers are right over there." "Oh I didn't come to watch, Sir Gilliam, I'm here to try out for the team." Sofia said with eager in her voice.

                   Everyone gasped. "What?" Sir Gilliam and the princes said in confusion, "What?" the princesses exclaimed in horror and disgust, but Freya sat watching, amused. "But, what's wrong?" asked Sofia. Prince Hugo explained rather tauntingly, "Um only princes can ride in the flying derby." "So princesses can't try out?" Sofia said. Sir Gilliam stammered, "Well ddddd- they could bbbut-" "But they don't; flying derby is just not a princess thing." Amber said.

                  They then all launched into a catchy song explaining the different preferences of princes and princesses and Freya watched this all in amusement. She found it intriguing, as she liked both the royals' preferences. She stopped watching when the song ended. She felt bored again. And was angry that Cedric wasn't paying much attention to her as he used to. In a fit of rage she yelled at the ceiling in fury, breaking her mirror and knocking her ball off the table and shattering it to a million pieces. She had also created a blizzard in the room as frost formed on the walls around her. She wanted a break. After she calmed down, one thing set in her mind. Cedric's attention had shifted ever since Sofia got the amulet. "This whole mess is her fault!!" Freya growled.