A Day At The Carnival

Enchancia's Duchess is... odd. As Cedric put it. She was no sorceress, but her eccentric charm and nature made her presence magical. Cedric once told her the Duchess rode a pogo stick around the castle during an important ball without care. Whenever she showed up, Freya ended up being the Duchess Matilda's 'little helper' in baking pies a lot. Because for some reason she always ended up encountering her and Amber and James whenever she so as much as took a broom glide in the castle. As soon as she was spotted the twins would immediately volunteer her as the little helper and take off. 

                       So Freya wasn't that excited when she heard Baileywick say the duchess was returning soon. She knew it would only be a matter of time before she would be little helper once again. For some reason the simplest ingredients required the most complicated of paths. She was taking a broom glide again after Cedric kicked her out of the workshop for almost exploding Wormwood's feathers off. Until she came across Amber's room. Then James and Sofia rushed past her as Freya whirled out of the way.

                      Amber came out of the room, freshly changed into the exact same ensemble she wore every day. "Not fair!" she whined to herself as she saw her siblings round a corner. "What's happening?" Freya asked in confusion. "We're going to the carnival." Freya threw her new broom out in front of her and hopped on. "I think I can help you catch up." she smirked. Amber slowly got on, readjusting her gown and tiara. "Are you sure this is safe? This is your what? 5th broom?" "It's the fourth. And you might wanna hang on.". Amber squealed as Freya zipped through the castle, coming to a slow glide behind a running James and Sofia. Amber got off and ran up with the others.

                    "Out of my way! I want to be first in line!" Amber said with a smirk as she ran as fast as possible while maintaining posture on heels. "You can be first," James offered, "after me!" he said as he picked up the pace. "I've never been to a carnival, I've been to a fair, a circus, a festival, but never a carnival! Is it fun?" Sofia asked. Amber replied, "Funnest thing there is!" "It's funner than fun!" James said as they ran down the stairs. They threw the doors open to the runway, and the king, queen and Baileywick were there, looking towards the sky.

                       When Queen Miranda saw them, she said, "Children! You're just in time!" "Your Aunt Matilda will be here any moment now." King Roland added. Amber and James were stricken with fear. "Aunt Tilly's coming today?" James uttered. "Today?" Freya and Amber exclaimed in unison. Sofia was confused. "Guys, is this a bad thing?" "Badder than bad!" "Baddest thing there is!" the twins whisper-shouted. 

                      "Isn't it exciting Sofia?" Miranda asked. Sofia hurriedly agreed before the twins turned to her. "No it isn't! The most exciting thing Aunt Tilly does is bake pies!" Amber said recounting past events. "After she's done pinching our cheeks and patting our heads." James shuddered. "And she always asks us to be her 'little helpers'." Amber complained while making air quotes.

                    Sofia said, "So you help her bake?" "We've always gotten out of it." Amber replied. "She's sooo boring. Trust us Sofia, you don't want to be stuck in a hot old kitchen with Aunt Tilly all day." James said. "Especially when the carnival is in town!" Amber exclaimed in worry. Sofia looked on nervously as a blue carriage flew down.

                     "Dad, we have to leave for the carnival, right now." James said quickly. Roland replied sternly, "I'm sure you can stay and say hello to your aunt." "But daddy, we've been planning this trip for days!" Amber said sweetly, and James added, "Weeks, months even!". "Children, let's be polite." Roland said. 

                     Sofia looked on nervously as a blue carriage landed, as well as a large cloud of dust, making everyone cough and hack. "The Duchess Matilda!" Baileywick announced as a woman with a red dress and green hat hopped off the carriage. She held a yellow umbrella and golden patterned bag.