So Much For Birthdays

Freya got up at the crack of dawn and lurked about in the garden. Morning dew smells so nice on my birthday. she thought. She filled up her tiny bottle and poofed back to her bedroom. She had pretty much mastered the spell now, and never really required her broom. Though she still enjoyed using it. 

                      She placed the bottle under her bed and felt something trickling down her neck; the room's frost was melting. Why now she didn't know. She re-frosted it and opened the door to be met with everyone in the castle singing how you can count on Baileywick. That was when she heard tapping on her window. Wormwood was there with a box. Freya fed him and opened it up. Cedric got her the same every year; a wand. As if the one she'd been using for 5 years wasn't already enough. 

                     It hadn't taken long for Freya to figure out she shared the same birthday as Baileywick when she arrived in the castle. Baileywick found it charming. Freya opened up her drawer that contained a lot of pre-written/drawn cards. About 20 for every occasion. Freya picked up a birthday card and began to customise it to suit the current subject. When she finished, the song ended as well, she found out when she poofed.

                   "Happy birthday Mr Baileywick." Freya said as she held out her card. It was obvious it was prepared last minute, as some of the colours were slightly smeared. Baileywick took it anyway. "Why thank you Freya, and a happy birthday to you as well." "It's your birthday too Freya?" asked Sofia in surprise. 

                      Freya felt pretty awkward. "Yeah I didn't really tell anyone except Baileywick, and that was only because I found out we shared a birthday.". The king insisted Baileywick take the day off this time, and even Baileywick's brother showed up to sweep him away for birthday activities. After that, Zandar, Hildegard, Jade and Ruby showed up for a playdate. "Happy birthday Freya! Here's my present." said Hildegard. Freya opened a box to see a sparkling silver necklace with a small emerald heart-shaped charm. Freya smiled and put it on.

  (Image found on Google~~)

                   James, Zandar, Jade and Ruby wanted to play James' playdate activity of treehouse pirates first. Sofia was dragged along. "Amber, a treehouse?" Hildegard said as she flexed her green fan. Amber said, "Don't worry Hildy, I'm having a tea party later. You can help set it up." "Gladly.". Amber then stopped. "Come on Freya, Hildy told me you liked tea parties.". Freya grinned and caught up.

                     Freya left after a while to call the others for the tea party. "Why is Baileywick up there?" she asked. "He's fixing the treehouse." Ruby said. Freya frowned, "But it's his day off, why didn't you call me? I could have helped with magic." "Ohh.... yeah." Jade said. "Anyway, it's time for the tea party." "Do we have to?" asked Zandar. "Yummy snacks will be served!" Amber said. She had also come along. Zandar raced Ruby and Jade for the second time, followed by James. 

                   "Would you like me to poof you to your destination Mr Baileywick?" Freya asked as Baileywick quite comically struggled to climb down the swinging rope ladder. "Oh that's very sweet of you but not very necessar-" Baileywick said, but was cut off by a poof.

                       The two appeared in front of Baileywick's brother Nigel. "I'm ready for apple picking Nigel." Baileywick said. Nigel checked his watch, "Too late for that I'm afraid, but we do have enough time to swing by the village ice cream cart to get a scoop of Sorcerer's Swirl.". "That sounds nice." said Freya as she poofed to Amber's perfectly pink themed tea party, only to see her freak out that the cookies she wanted to be pink were instead red plaid. Freya covered her ears as Amber screamed, "BAILEYWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!".

                       Freya facepalmed as she stood next to Nigel watching Baileywick help Amber find the right shade of pink for her cookie frosting. "It could use a bit more pink." said Amber as Baileywick asked how the colour of the current batch. Freya said, "Oh for crying out loud it looks exactly the same!" and a bit of magic exploded out of her normally droopy hat as it jutted upwards. 

                    No one paid her any heed. Eventually they found the right shade of pink and Nigel looked satisfied. Until Baileywick said they must now frost the cookies. Freya hummed a birthday song, lit a candle on a cupcake she pinched and blew it out.

                   "And here are your perfectly pink cookies!" Baileywick said. Nigel added, "And now we are perfectly late.". Baileywick reminded him that they could still go fishing. The two left and the children began the tea party. Eventually they got bored and went on to Sofia's activity of painting butterflies. Freya got excited at first but lost interest when she found out they weren't going to actually paint on butterfly wings. 

                    The girls had fun nonetheless. James painted a lizard, which Freya laughed at. James pointed out she didn't paint butterflies either. Instead she had painted Ruby and Jade who were playing curtsying. Ruby and Jade laughed when they saw Freya's painting. "No! Oh can someone please make my butterfly stay still?!" Amber said in dismay as a butterfly flew off. "In my castle, the butterflies are trained to pose for us." said Hildegard.

                  "Oh be quiet Hildegard butterflies are protected in Freezenburg and live only in the wild." said Freya. Then James' lizard ran away, and James dove into the bushes after it, followed by Zandar. With all the rustling and shouting, the two princes managed to scare all the butterflies away. "Now what do we paint?" said Hildegard. "We could all copy your painting." said Freya as everyone's canvas was replaced with copies of Hildegard's painting. Everyone glared at her so she changed them back.

                     Freya never expected Sofia to call on Baileywick to help get the butterflies back. The witch kept quiet as the other children requested the colours of the butterflies they wanted to paint and Baileywick caught them all. Freya looked at Baileywick as he finally walked off.

                      Freya gathered all the paintings and dried them with her magic. Sofia disappeared for a while as Amber and James waved goodbye to their friends. Sofia showed up last minute and yelled her goodbyes. Then she said, "We really messed up." "What? How?" asked James. Freya launched into a rant about them asking Baileywick for help even though it was his day off. Sofia got straight to the point though. "Every time he tried to leave, we asked him to do something!".

                      "If only we could do the whole day over again." said Amber. Freya looked at her wand. "I mean, I haven't done a time travel spell before but I have read a few-" "We won't be doing that." Amber said. Sofia had an idea. James got apples from the kitchen, Amber got Suzette to get ice cream, Sofia persuaded the King, Queen and Nigel to come, and Freya was in charge of decorating. "This is not how I imagined my 10th birthday to go." she chuckled as they were all getting ready in James' boat treehouse.

                    Sofia gasped. "Oh Friya! I'm so sorry I totally forgot it was your birthday too." "It's your birthday today?" James asked. Freya felt awkward again. "I mean, yeah I mentioned it this morning. Don't worry about it, people forget every year.". Freya then grabbed an ice cream and poofed to get Baileywick.

                  "Hi Mr Baileywick. We need your help again today." said Freya as she ate her cone ice cream with a small spoon. Before Baileywick could reply, she poofed him to the bottom of the boat treehouse and poofed herself to the top, signalling everyone to hide. They all yelled surprise when Baileywick came up. It was nice. They could do apple picking, and have ice cream and fish for imaginary fish since the treehouse was a boat. Freya had a small grin as she ate her ice cream.