Butterfly Costume

"This fabric is perfect Madame Colette!" Freya said in delight as she felt the soft satin. "Vell, these are some of our better older fabrics." the dressmaker responded in satisfaction. "It's just what I needed. Thank you." "You're velcome dear. And if you have any sewing troubles, you can just come straight to me!" "Okay Mam!".

                       Freya didn't actually know what she wanted to be yet. But she did know she wanted to be something beautiful. She had already done creepy the last year, and that was a huge mistake when she frightened the life out of poor Violet while wearing her ghost costume. And she had done silly the year before, though no one really laughed. Then again, her idea of silly was a huge puffed-up balloon fish covered in cheese. 

                      She was just threading the needle when a loud noise made her prick herself. "Freya, I need your help." Amber wailed as she plopped onto the witch's bed. Freya rolled her eyes as she walked over to a basin to rinse her finger. "With what exactly?" "You're good at sewing, teach me!" "Why are you so desperate?" "Oh- just come with me!" Freya was pulled all the way to Amber's room. 

                    "Couldn't you ask your sweetheart stepsister to help you?" Freya noted as she saw the mess of fabric, threads and needles on the floor. Amber replied, "And why would I do that?" "Well alright then. What do you want to be?" Freya asked as she magicked up her sewing kit and fabrics and worked on her own costume. "I don't know! Just anything that can make me win!" Freya rolled her eyes. 

                      After countless tries, Amber still couldn't thread the needle. "Okay it hurts too much. Give it to me." Freya said in exasperation as she dropped her dress. "Ohh. So the needle goes through that end." Amber said. Sofia dropped in to check on Amber, and in typical Amber fashion, she refused Sofia's help. Amber continued to fumble around with fabric, attempting to wrap a cloth around herself, hoping it would magically turn into a costume.

                        Freya finished sewing the sleeves of her dress and flipped it inside out to see the outward appearance. Not too shabby for her third attempt at dress making. Unfortunately, it was too small to slip over her head. She looked over to Amber, who was lying on the floor in defeat. Shrugging, she left the room and decided to check up on James, who had a decent costume of a dragon. Looking down at her own dress in defeat, she poofed to the dressmaker's room, startling the soul out of poor Madame Colette. 

                     Several criticisms, thread picking, measurements and re-stitching later, Freya finally had a decent gown. But since she still hadn't decided on a costume, she decided to be a mix. Bird wings that added as a layer to her gown. White dandelion puff skirt. A basketful of petals, a baby-blue feather-covered masquerade mask with a stick that took forever to put together, and the silver tiara she got from the sleepover. What was she supposed to be? A dandelion-bird fairy. Definitely not one of the weirdest combinations one could come up with. Then she had a brainwave. 

                     Freya undid her hair and shook her head a bit, letting her hair come out in waves. She combed it and curled the ends. An old, borrowed gown from Amber, red earrings, and some styling in the front later, Freya put the tiara on. This was the simplest costume she had come up with yet. Though it meant all the sewing efforts had ultimately been pointless. At least she had a new gown for the next castle event for her wardrobe. She looked in the mirror. True she looked similar to Amber, but it wouldn't count as a costume. So she added her feather mask as the finishing touch.

                      Curious to see the others' costumes, she poofed to Sofia's room, interrupting Sofia as she showed her mother her silver swan gown. James ran in showing off his dragon head, and oohed at Sofia's gown, and fist bumped Freya on her outfit. Amber gasped in astonishment at their costumes. "Sofia! You-you made that?" Amber said. James teased her a bit and sarcastically wished her luck on topping Sofia's costume. Amber huffed and left.